Help dating Glider Wings KREW G-I

I have a set of clutch back Glider Wings with a hallmark KREW G-I. What time period are they from.

Post Vietnam. Probably made for the vets reunions.The group

I did displays for had modern strikes of both glider and para wings to sell to the association members

firefighter

I have a group of reissued medals from the government with clutch back glider badge.Just want to make sure, do you mean Glider WINGS or BADGE.Wings are for the pilots with the 'G' in the center.The badge are for the glider borne troops.

$_57.JPG

Around 1953 the Quartermaster General issued two digit identity numbers consisting of a number and the first letter of the mfg name to the various companies. This badge would have been made sometime after 1953. For instance Vanguard included IV after 1954 and after 1964 they went to a 2 numbers with the initial of the company. ie Vanguard went to V21 in the 1960's.

Post Vietnam. Probably made for the vets reunions.The group

I did displays for had modern strikes of both glider and para wings to sell to the association members

Thanks for this information as I didn't know insignia companies were manufacturing basically restrikes for this purpose. I always wondered why different insignia companies kept manufacturing obsolete insignia with current rear fixings. In the case of the glider trooper wing the Army stopped providing this type of training in 1948 so I thought there wouldn't have been that much of a demand for this insignia past the Vietnam War as glider trooper veterans were all retired from the Army by this time. Here is one that just sold on eBay and wondered if this was made for a glider trooper veteran who was still in the military maybe in the late 1950s.

post-1389-0-05711400-1436202346.jpg

post-1389-0-55574100-1436202360.jpg

triplecanopy

Some of you may know if this is true or not. I have heard that the USAF Academy still awards these glider wings to cadets who complete a glider pilot program offered there. I know these are not pilot wings, but there may be some one who can verify or discount that rumor. BTW... We have an 80+ year old guy in our Mountain Ranger Organization who earned his glider (rider) wings in 1946. I hope everyone had a great 4th of July.

firefighter

I have also heard that rumor.I have looked at different USAFA websites but could not find any info of them using that badge, doesn't mean that they didn't.It could have been an u/a insignia.

• 4 years later...
pbuchh7715

Greetings,

I can't find the specific reference but the Glider Badge became obsolete in 1961 but could still be worn on the US Army  uniform I think (think) into the 1970's.  There's an AR that covers this but I can't remember which one (not 670-1).   With that in mind, if you could wear it, they would make it.  I like it and don't feel its a reunion piece.

Best,

Peter

Back in the late 80s I purchased a clutchback sterling Glider badge from the Ft. Monroe clothing sales. If memory serves correctly there were 2 more gliders, but they were not sterling so I did not buy. All three were in NS Meyer blue/white packaging.  So Yes, the badges were available at post exchanges in the late 1980s.