2 Gew 98 Mausers & Bayonet

Neat Story. These were brought back from World War 1 by John Hackett. Mr. Hackett was actually one of President Franklin Roosevelts personal attorneys. These hung on the wall in an Adirnondack New York cabin for over 70 years before they were rescued. Mausers are in rough shape. Bayonet in great shape.

I have the opportunity to purchase ONE Mauser with the bayonet. I'd be looking for some help on the markings, etc. Before I go through the effort of resizing and posting pictures as that's time consuming, with this neat back story, is it now ok to discuss these Mausers in depth here? Moderators please let me know. Although rough shape with rust, to my untrained eye, they have really cool Imperial German proof markings. I'd be looking for help to authenticate these as genuine WW1 era, all German Marked with no foreign import markings, what markings mean, approx value, and finally, which of the two Mausers would be better to purchase as I have choice.

I thought these were really neat especially with that back story to compliment my American WW1 collection as a compare / contrast for my teaching.

Anyway, enjoy, and please moderators let me know if I should / can post more pics for discussion.

post-150849-0-39407300-1436123509.jpg

"May God have mercy upon my enemies because I won't"
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived"
"Americans will not tolerate a loser"
-- General George S. Patton Jr.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Memoriam: Private First Class Vincent J. Zabbia

Company K, 3rd Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division

Wounded in Action: 30 March 1943 Hill 574 El Guettar, Tunisia

Died of Wounds: 9 April 1943

The WAF would be a much better place to have a discussion on these rifles. Here is a link: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php

This thread is locked

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement.

A night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities to experience all three at the same time.

You can not pronounce as knowledge anything you can not demonstrate.

ASMIC Secretary

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif