103rd Fighter Group

Bearmon

The 103rd Fighter group has this same image on its patch, but the morse code on the pin translate to F E A.

Is this just a DUI type pin for the 103rd Fighter group, the current patch has a F S in morse code on the top??

Any idea of age on this one?

post-582-0-30416000-1436044162.jpg

At the end of WW2, this was the D.I. of the 118th Tactical Recon Squadron; before that is was the 43rd Division Aviation based in Connecticut. That is a Connecticut Yankee running with the Connecticut Constitution in his hand. What type of fastener on back? The one I have is a screwback. Any hallmark on back?

I don't have the DUI I was curious due to the Morse code and F E A and F S Any idea why these letters are shown in Morse code?

"FEA" represents "Fidele et Alert" (Faithful and Alert); don't know what "FS" on current patch is for, sorry.

The 103rd Fighter group has this same image on its patch, but the morse code on the pin translate to F E A.

Is this just a DUI type pin for the 103rd Fighter group, the current patch has a F S in morse code on the top??

Any idea of age on this one?

attachicon.gif103rd FAE.jpg

This has a vertical pin back (see photo) with an incised hallmark of W & H Co. I too spotted this in a grouping of insignia on eBay and decided to take a chance as I felt it might have some association with what became of the Flying Tigers. I noticed that it had the same hallmark as the ultra rare Flying Tigers pin. Per a Google search the 118th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron joined the 23rd Fighter Group of the 14th Air Force in the China Burma India Theater in 1943. Supposedly three pilots of the 118th achieved "Ace" status. I read something during my Google search that this unit crest not being authorized until the 1950s. So I wasn't sure but decided to take a chance and got the grouping for $32.16. Does anyone know if this is a bonafide WW2 era unit crest for the 118th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron?

post-1389-0-95538800-1436207959.jpg

During my Google search I also came across a leather flight jacket with a leather representation of this piece (see photo).

post-1389-0-99212300-1436208019.jpg