spitfires for sale

emile1703

A simple but true story.

In 1948 when my father was a boy about the age of 14-15. He stumbled over some Spitfires in a field of a wood tradesman In Kontich Belgium.(Where the Mechelsesteenweeg meets the K.Astridlaan for all you Belgian members...

Just a boy but already plane crazy he couldn't believe his eyes. 5 fuselages were placed next to each other, the wings were in crates. five brand new spits !!!

The machine guns were removed , but everyting else was there. He could clearly see the Rolls -Royce Griffon powerplants and the 5-bladed propellers so this must have been MK XVI or later models he thought.

He jumped over the fence and asked the guy how much they cost : 25000 Bfr.each or +/-625 € = 693$ at currant rates.That was no small amount in those day's but not realy very expensive either.

So he grabbed his bike and set a new record to his home and asked his father what he tought about it (he knew very well what this ment to my dad). His parents weren't rich but had well paying jobs so his father said it would more or less be ok with him. But my dad had to ask his mom and if she agreed the deal was almost done. His mother (as most mothers would do) debated the inpracticalities of bringing the plane over and where to put it etc.etc.So my dad ,the good boy that he was,listened to her arguments and agreed that it wouldn't be easy to get the plane in their back yard. So he called the hole thing off but never ever forgot this once in a lifetime opportunity to own a Spitfire . The older he got the more frustrated and angry with himself that he didn't insist and buy the damn thing anyway.

He always told me: "son, if there is anything you desperatly want ,but have no money enough or any other obstacle that might come between you and your dream...just let me know and we figure it out.

Until this day I did not come across a simular opportunity....

Patrick

tdogchristy90

Nice story Emile,

Reminds me of what my father has always told me. "If you want something bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen." I'm only 27 and have had my share of non conventional obstacles thrown my way and yet through shear determination and will I've accomplished everything I've set out do. As I get older I see more and more people claim they want something and yet fail because they're unwilling to overcome something or put in the work...only furthering my dad's point. Great story bud, it reminds me of my experiences. Keep grinding, one day you'll get that spitfire.

Jennings Lane

I had an old friend that collected all his life. He often said that his "biggest regrets were not over what he had bought, but what he didn't buy."

Great story. I believe P-51's were available to buy in the States very reasonably as their military usefulness ended.

A sad story indeed. How much I wanted a Corsair as a kid after watching Baa Baa Blacksheep. I couldn't imagine being that close to getting a warbird like that.

-Ski

• 2 weeks later...