Slowly Returning to Nature....

lewis505

Been out on a field training exercise here at the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) at Fort Polk for the past 3 weeks - we were setup inside one of the many FOBs located on Fort Polk used to replicate conditions we will face when we deploy later this year - found this abandoned UH-1H just inside our FOB perimeter - was probably used as a static load trainer before an air assault, but "Mother Nature" is slowly taking over...

post-12528-0-74405700-1435954906.jpg

FYI the orange doors on the Huey (or any Army aircraft) indicate that it is being used a flight training aircraft; there are dozens of these Hueys scattered around Fort Polk & I bet most came from nearby Fort Rucker where the Army's Aviation School is.
post-12528-0-92478200-1435955219.jpg
Chris

I have always wanted a Huey. Say good bye to traffic! :P

Is this wreck used as part of your exercises? Sure would be a fun restoration project if someone with infinite money and time got a hold of it...

Indeed it is, and there are dozens of them located around Fort Polk - some are used to conduct "static load training" before an actual Air Assault mission, but unfortunately most are used as "training aids" to simulate a crashed aircraft, or as targets on ranges

268th C.A.

yeah souvenir hunters have had a field day with it too. There is a local here that fly's his all the time, its a beauty in all its original Army colors.....I see it up there flying overhead

The Meatcan

It looks kind of sad and eerie at the same time in such dilapidated condition and all the vegetation engulfing it.

Thanks for posting the pix Chris.

Terry

phantomfixer

Would love to make an RV out of one...lop off the tail, drop the body on to a chasis...add a bed, AC, and heat roll across America with it....in USAF colors of course... : )

But as is..it was a work horse for the military and as such it is still performing a mission...So kinda cool in that respect

Tail # that is painted on it is for an OH-58 - if I get back out there I'll see if I can find the data plate

• 2 weeks later...

Odd that the fire extinguisher is still in it.

If you can get the nicer of the two seats out of that thing, I have a home for it. :)