ID'd USMC Canteen Cover Iwo Jima

Lucky 7th Armored

Lucky 7th Armored

Hi all!

Here is a recent pick up of mine a nice unit marked cover with the name CARTER across the bottom.. FSBE helped me research this ID'd cover to a Marine in 3/25 who was wounded on the day of the landings on Iwo Jima. After some searching I found his casualty card, platoon picture from 1943, his PH certificate, and a 15 minute interview on YouTube!

Here's a brief synapsis on what he talks about:

He talks about how he thinks he was wounded by a knee mortar round on Iwo Jima which resulted in shrapnel fragments in his face and back. That is about all that he mentions in regards to Iwo. He talks more about Tinian and Saipan. He mentions how he went from carrying the M1 Garand to becoming a BAR gunner. He says how he was walking with a tank when all of sudden the tank went in reverse and he notices a Japanese soldier running towards the tank and unloads the whole clip into him. Another occasion where he ran into the enemy was on a patrol where two Japanese soldiers came out of the brush and he says he put one round into the head of the one and the other one ran away. He laughed and said he was lucky because his rifle jammed after that first round.

It is now one of my favorite pieces in my collection!

Haydn

post-5136-0-17164000-1435853905.jpg

post-5136-0-90490900-1435853957.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

and one last picture, it is a shame that he isn't circled in the picture!

post-5136-0-13575100-1435854676.jpg

Considering he was a BAR gunner he might have modified the canteen to ride better on the BAR belt.

-Matt

Hello,

very nice canteen cover and great research !! A keeper for sure.

E

ViewfinderGyrene

Did you pick this up at WWII Weekend in Reading lol? It looks so familiar and resembles a named, UNIS'd set I saw at the flea market...

Lucky 7th Armored

Thank you all for the kind words, this is one of my best researched pieces in my collection now! :)

Did you pick this up at WWII Weekend in Reading lol? It looks so familiar and resembles a named, UNIS'd set I saw at the flea market...

Hahaha yep! I actually bought all of the UNIS marked gear from that vendor. B) I run into him from time to time because he is local and once I told him the information I found out...you should've seen the look on his face, because he already cut me a great deal.

Haydn

ViewfinderGyrene

Holy smokes dude, you wiped up! Nice to see another peer around here! Reading's my stomping ground since age 12, you must know him better, no deal to me and that's why I passed on just that one :lol:

Lucky 7th Armored

I honestly just met him that day, but I hung around and chatted for a while..The bundling technique works from time to time I guess... :D

I live right outside the city, so you are pretty local too? I just got back into collecting after a break of about 2 years, so I had to go big at WWII Weekend.

'Flage Guy

Considering he was a BAR gunner he might have modified the canteen to ride better on the BAR belt.

-Matt

I understand that this was a fairly common practice with these early cross-flap Covers (most of the ones I've seen are in new condition); Haydn's is really a great example because even with its history, it's still in fine condition. The markings really add to it.

post-3226-0-11847100-1436193337.jpeg

I understand that this was a fairly common practice with these early cross-flap Covers (most of the ones I've seen are in new condition); Haydn's is really a great example because even with its history, it's still in fine condition. The markings really add to it.

The examples you have are most likely depot modified, as were most and never issued. His has the army hook which leads me to believe it was field modified when he switched to the BAR as stated above.