Navy Flight Helmet/Mask and Question

TLeo

I came across this helmet and mask set the other day and even though I have been mostly away from collecting these for quite a while, for the price I had to grab it. It will need some new earcups and one ear phone and the mask is complete except for a connector and a regulator to attach to the redar hose. I did some searching for a squadron as it had me stumped at first but I found a short video online clearly showing these markings used by VA and VFA-82 Marauders. definitely shows honest flight use.

I do have a question for the flight helmet guys here....I have never seen the comm cord exit the helmet on the right side as this one. Everyone I have had or seen, the grommet and cord have been on the left. Any ideas why this one is different?....maybe just personal preference???

post-5081-0-54767800-1435848515.jpg

post-5081-0-75226700-1435848528.jpg

post-5081-0-21650000-1435848539.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice helmet and mask assy.! The helmet shell appears to be from a custom flight helmet company such as Flight Suits Ltd., etc.

The shell could be a Gentex DH-151 or HGU-33/P? It is not a PRK-37/P shell as far as I can tell. It could have been pilot

preference to have the communications cable exit the right side? I have seen Israeli flight helmets with the cable exiting on

the right side. The helmet is probably from the mid 1980s and possibly later. The Velcro on the helmet visor housing is for a

SDU-5/E strobe light and the smaller pieces of Velcro are for a camouflage cover. The helmet would probably have used black

leather ear pads without plastic ear cups originally. The earphone element would be the tapered back H-87B/U with a silver

colored front. The MBU-14/P mask would probably have used a CRU-79/P mini-regulator, possibly made by Clifton Precision.

Is the black leather liner made from one or two pieces? The mfr information sticker for the helmet could be underneath the

Velcro on the left inner side. There could also be information on the back side of the liner and/or underneath the visor

housing. The Velcro on the chrome oxygen mask receiver is covering up the diamond shaped mfr. data plates. Also, the boom

microphone assy. on USN/USMC fixed wing acft. type helmets used to be on the right side until the mid 1980s. This helmet could

have originally been ordered during the early 1980s and then upgraded with around 80% white reflective tape later on. Does it

appear that the helmet had a custom paint job underneath the tape? Also, a nape strap with pad may be needed.

Hope this helps.

The earcups were leather w/o the plastic cups you mentioned and which were in really bad shape so I pulled out what was left of them and the liner is a two piece leather covered. I think this likely dates to their days as an A-7 squadron but possibly into the early years of their transition to FA-18s. One photo I saw was of a A-7 and the blue lightening bolts were clearly visible. I'm wondering if it might be a early hgu55 shell with the visor housing added as I have seen done in some helmets. Whatever label might be present is covered and not reachable to see and no signs of any custom paint job.

I already have some leather ear pads on order and I know where there are some h87 ear phones are I need to go ahead and order. Thanks.

northcoastaero

It is possible that the shell is a HGU-55/P. Is the shell trimmed higher and wider at the eyes like the 55/P? It is difficult to tell in the photos. Just curious, what is the date of mfr. on the side of the oxygen mask?

It is possible that the shell is a HGU-55/P. Is the shell trimmed higher and wider at the eyes like the 55/P? It is difficult to tell in the photos. Just curious, what is the date of mfr. on the side of the oxygen mask?

I don't have a 55 here to compare it to but from remembering ones I used to have, that is what it looks like to me. The mask is dated 86/87/88

post-5081-0-16462400-1435875756.jpg

northcoastaero

If I were to guess, I would say HGU-33/P or HGU-55/P custom shell, mask receivers, ear pads, leather chin pad, form fit liner with the visor assy. and the rest being PRK-37/P US issue. Custom shell because the foam inside the edge roll did not seem to last on those helmets. I also do not have any HGU-55/P type helmet shells anymore, so it is difficult to determine 33/P or 55/P. Both were cut higher, with the 55/P cut wider also. Does the original paint on the shell underneath the tape appear to be white or gray? According to what I read on Wikipedia.org, A-7E to F/A-18C transition period seems right. The F/A-18C Hornet may have used a larger chest mounted regulator such as the CRU-82/P and/or CRU-88/P at this time. Does the bottom of the high pressure REDAR hose have slots for one or two guide pins? One guide pin slot would be for Liquid oxygen (LOX) (A-7E) and two guide pin slots would be for On Board Oxygen Generating System (OBOGS) (F/A-18C). Since you have a CRU-79/P mini-regulator cover with the oxygen mask, I am guessing the helmet/mask set was used with the A-7E.

Hmmm.....the bottom has one pin in the center. I was just looking it over to see about any gray showing and I noticed when l looked around the grommet for the comm cord the tape is chipped off a bit and there appears to be dark blue metal flake paint under the tape. So. looks like the A-7E period would likely be correct. Maybe I can find the cru79 somewhere. Thanks for the suggestions and information. :D

northcoastaero

I believe the squadron was featured in the 1980 movie The Final Countdown, along with VF-84 of course. The helmet shells in the movie were blue with white visor housings. The woodland camouflage covers for the PRK-37/P helmets were introduced around 1985, with the earlier ones attached to the helmet chin straps via grommets and later ones via Velcro. Try flighthelmet.com or ebay.com for the CRU-79/P. Do the

original ear pads that came with the helmet have the earlier several small holes version or the later one large hole version?

Wow, great memory you've got there. I pulled out my copy and right there early in the movie was the A-7 from 86 in the barricade but the pilot was wearing the marauder helmet.....custom blue shell with yellow trident and white visor with the exact design lightning bolts as mine. So, it looks like I have one of those helmets that was later taped per the regs requiring white tape. Thanks again!

I've already thrown out the pads but I think they had the one hole.