German Officer's Weaponry

J.S.

The man in the photograph is Thomas Furse, my great-grandfather and WWII veteran. Papa went overseas with the 393rd Ordnance Company and commanded a body shop for medium vehicles (jeeps, halftracks, etc). He was discharged as a Tech-4 and went back to his Arizona home to resume his prewar occupation of bus driver. While he was overseas, Tom traded his toolbox to a GI for these goodies, captured from a high-ranking Nazi officer. The Luger is dated 1918 with matching serial numbers on all the parts, and the dagger is a common variant given to officers in the SA. The inscription reads "ALL FOR GERMANY".

e87hio.jpg

The pistol has an interesting story behind it. In 1947, Tom was barely home from the war, having been discharged less than a year prior. Word got around his quiet neighborhood that a man was peering into the windows of housewives and behaving inappropriately, and when he did the same to Tom's wife and three-year-old daughter, Tom wouldn't stand it any longer. He grabbed his war-trophy Luger and marched around to the side of the house at dusk, ready to stop this pervert once and for all. Several minutes passed until Tom saw a man who he believed to be his neighbor, waved hello, and continued to stand guard. However, Tom's eyesight was never the best, and the "neighbor" did a double-take upon seeing the determined man with the pistol and kept walking. The neighborhood didn't have any problems after that.

blitzkrieg gsd

Very cool If you get a chance take some close ups of the pistol and dagger both if possible. I'd like to see them both up close as I'm a collector of TR daggers and guns also. The story with the pistol is cool to also back in them days men weren't scared to take care of their own. A WW2 vet and a 9mm is a perverts worst nightmare in my opinion that's the way we should handle all sex offenders.

Lucky 7th Armored

Awesome pieces. I love family item's and the stories that come with them, just like the one you shared.

Haydn

The pistol and dagger are currently at a friend's house for safe keeping along with our other firearms and valuables, as we had painters here while on vacation. As soon as they are recovered, I'll make sure to post some pictures.