Normandy, expensive?

Thinking about going to Normandy this summer. I've heard comments that the militaria is pretty highly priced, just thought it would seem fair,if you had a shop in that area you could afford to price items higher. Is this true. Thanks for the advice.

panzerbait

Being from the States, I found the prices for US militaria in Normandy as a whole were expensive compared to what I would pay for the same item here. On the other hand, I collect WWII British/Commonwealth items and I was pleasantly surprised at the prices for those items. It's really a mixed bag. As I was told from a friend who lives in Normandy, and occasionally sells at flea markets around the anniversary of D-Day, there is a real emotional aspect to buying militaria from Normandy and especially so if you have relatives that fought there. The children and grandchildren of the D-Day vets who wander through the shops all want a piece of grandpa's history to take back with them, and might not be well tuned into the prices that educated collectors would pay for the items. And I'm also told that during the D-Day anniversaries, the prices might take a temporary hike while all the $$$ is coming to town ;) .

Thanks for the advice. When I visited the U.S. last year I found the prices of us militaria to be incredibly cheap compared to the high prices in Europe. I actually went round (Virginia and Pennsylvania) buying as much of the stuff as I could. I guess you guys just have more of it!! I remember buying a canteen for 35 dollars this would have gone for way over £50 in the uk.