Japanese navy cap

willysmb44

willysmb44

This was in a Navy footlocker, I was told the vet brought it back. It's an amazing shape, and has what looks like a kid wrote his name on the inside. That doesn't shock me, I knew a German collector who said that was pretty common if the hat/helmet was given to a kid.

No clue other than that. But I got this for next to nothing so there was no danger of being ripped off...

willysmb44

FYI, the (private purchase and pretty beat up) footlocker itself was bought at an airshow from a vendor selling other stuff, then the contents were quickly dispersed among several people almost instantly. It happened so fast I wasn't able to get photos of the markings which would have shown who's footlocker it was. There wasn't much in it anyway, just some old dusty newspapers, a badly corroded Officer's cap insignia and some stuff that was certainly postwar. This Japanese cap was pretty much the only thing I thought would have value.

Nice Cap Lee

I have one similiar in a WW2 Navy Corpsmans group who served on Guam and Iwo

I have heard stories that a wharehouse was found in Shanhai years ago and there were new old stockcaps found.

willysmb44

Wish I knew more about it.

I spent less on this than I did on my lunch that day at the show, less than repros go for. Sure is in great shape for something that old, it doesn't have that 'feel' for 70+ year old stuff, which would go with what I was told about it being in that footlocker all those years for the most part.

willysmb44

Thanks, looks just like mine.

Makes me wonder if people found these in bulk near the end of the war...

The spoils of War section is supposed to include a biography of the Veteran that captured and brought home as a War trophy. That is the reason for allowing the non-us items to be included.This thread has been discussed, please pm the OP for other questions or responses.I will lock at this time