Painted Gregory Patrol Pack (Not UM-21)

PriorityOne

PriorityOne

Just like the other ruck I just posted (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/243532-woodland-gregory-flo-form-2/), I would say this the pack they based off of to make the UM-21 patrol pack. It is very similar but definitely has its differences, ALICE instead of PALS, different radio pocket, different padding and strap system and other little things. It doesn't have any tags so i don't have any idea what model it is but I'm certain its Gregory. This is probably one of my favorite bags in my collection and is definitely a cool piece.

post-153263-0-63180200-1435707908.jpg

post-153263-0-20058500-1435707912.jpg

That camo is superb. I remember seeing a photo of a Air Force CCT in early OEF wearing a similar pack. Wish I still had that photo... Its sad how little love modern items get on this board. This pack is very impressive!

PriorityOne

That camo is superb. I remember seeing a photo of a Air Force CCT in early OEF wearing a similar pack. Wish I still had that photo... Its sad how little love modern items get on this board. This pack is very impressive!

I love the paint on this thing too, its a bit hard to tell by the pictures but theres two colors. Theres the tan but also a redish brown in some spots, usually gear is just painted tan. I totally hear you, modern stuff is overlooked!

I love the paint on this thing too, its a bit hard to tell by the pictures but theres two colors. Theres the tan but also a redish brown in some spots, usually gear is just painted tan. I totally hear you, modern stuff is overlooked!

Its just you and me in the cool kids club I guess... ;)

I spoke with a buddy who was an airforce CCT after I saw this pack.... he said they spayed all his woodland gear tan with black streaks shortly after arriving down range. He told me it was a good idea but after a few days in the bush everything got covered with dust and dirt anyway, effectively camouflaging things better than they would have hoped. He said he never washed his gear because the native dirt was the best camo. I will see if he has any pictures that I can post here...

My buddy sent me a photo, but requested that I not post it online. It has a few other secret squirrel types in the photo that he does not want to have published on the open web. However he said I could describe it, and says your pack looks very close to how his equipment was painted in theatre.

In the photo he is wearing an early Gentex high cut with a ANVIS mount fitted to the front, and he wears DCU bottoms and a DCU modified top. Both appear to have been heavily streaked with black and green paint. He wears a LBT 60940A carrier which has been painted identically to your ruck. On his back is a woodland pack of some sort. As he is facing the camera, I cannot see what it is exactly. His mag pouches and radio antenna have been sprayed as well. His buddies are wearing AOR1 and AORII camo, so that tells you something as to who they are... ;) He says the photo was taken early in 2010.

Too bad I could not pin your ruck to the CCTs, but at least you can say for certain it was theatre done. Great ruck man, thanks for sharing.

For fun here is a pic I found on the web of some gear that has been painted similarly to the photograph. Broad, almost complete tan over spray, with black Xs spread across to break up shape.

post-153625-0-24977200-1435977244.jpg

PriorityOne

I think examples of painted gear would make an awesome thread, showing variations and colors used. I may make that tomorow.

I think examples of painted gear would make an awesome thread, showing variations and colors used. I may make that tomorow.

If you start one, I'll gladly add my painted rigs and such to the thread.