Overseas A.R.C. Insignia

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Very Nice. I've never seen that style of cap badge before. All I've seen is the enameled red cross cap badge.

Good Stuff!

Any idea what this cap badge might be?

The collar devices look like 'N.Y.C.' to me which brings to mind New York City, but I can't be sure. Any thoughts?

post-5143-0-54005900-1435714379.jpg

The hat badge above is for a military academy I believe they may still be operating, but I cannot remember the name of the school. Interesting picture I have never seen one that early. The Red Cross hat badge posted is quite hard to get they do not come up for sale often as men's Red Cross stuff is quite hard to find

world war I nerd

Thanks Wake,

I certainly didn't recognize what the cap badge was. It looks as if the left hand collar brass might be 'R.O.T.C.' but again, there's no way to be sure.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Granted, it was sometime in the 70's, and $20 was worth almost 9 real dollars....... lol I couldn't afford an 8th of what I have at todays prices. And, a lot of it was the best 4 letter word I know..... free!

Days like that are slowly fading away hearing the stories of the collectors from the 50s and 60s make me sick all the stuff they could have had, but you can't have everything then this hobby wouldn't be any fun

Too Much WW1 Militaria

It's all relative I guess. Things were cheaper, but when I graduated High school in '68 if you made 10k a year, you were doing pretty well. My Grandfather was a surgeon in the AEF, and really active in the 40/8 and American Legion. I used to wear his uniform to events. So, I got to know a ton of WW1 vets, who sent me all sorts of stuff. Dad was a WW2 vet, saw a ton of combat in North Africa and Italy, and never said a thing. I can understand that, I don't talk about my two tours in Vietnam, a lot of that stuff will die with me.

John

Days like that are slowly fading away hearing the stories of the collectors from the 50s and 60s make me sick all the stuff they could have had, but you can't have everything then this hobby wouldn't be any fun

• 10 months later...
Jewish Welfare Board uniformpost-162653-0-85064600-1462984919.jpg
Description
"Olive green/gray coat with gold-colored buttons and a patch on the upper left sleeve. Matching skirt, gathered at the waist in the rear, closes with snaps. A cloth band reinforces the waist, two patch pockets are on the front. The collar is made of white cotton, with three button holes to permit attachment of the collar to the matching shirt."

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to contribute some information regarding the "overseas" stripes on ARC uniforms. According to the following document, standard military overseas chevrons were not authorized to ARC personnel who were not military officers, clerks, or enlisted men. The ARC uniform regulations from November 1918 state that a vertical silver stripe would be placed on the wearer's left sleeve to denote six-months of overseas service. 

Capture.JPG

Contrary to the regulations above, many ARC personnel are shown wearing the standard overseas chevrons along with their ARC rank. Here is a photo of Captain Louis Isaac Jaffe wearing his ARC uniform with two overseas stripes.

Courtesy of the Library of Congress.  

Capt. Louis Isaac Jaffe.jpg

Col. Thomas W. Farnam (left) wearing five stripes, which denote his rank, on both sleeves:

Col. Thomas W. Farnam.jpg

1st LT Lloyd G. Hartshorne wearing two overseas chevrons along with his proper ARC rank.

Lieut. Lloyd G. Hartshorne.jpg

An unidentified group of officers in Vienna, Austria. The officer on the left wears the rank of Colonel and the one on the right wears the rank of a Major.

Vienna Austria.jpg

• 1 month later...
Croix de Guerre
On 6/30/2015 at 7:08 PM, world war I nerd said:

Finally a YMCA man whose service coat features three YMCA inverted triangles of an unknown color on the lower left sleeve. The inset is a similar insignia embroidered in gold bullion on a YMCA service cap.

Is this a YMCA rank insignia or the YMCA's version of three overseas stripes?

Thanks for looking ... and hopefully replying!

post-5143-0-48449900-1435705707.jpg

I just came across this thread.  I have always had a soft spot for YMCA material.  To answer your question; Yes, the YMCA began to adopt triangles to designate time overseas just the same as service stripes.  The image attached shows a YMCA that was assigned to the 28th Division wearing three triangles high on his sleeve to denote a year and a half overseas.  I don't know if the YMCA ever established any regulations regarding this practice but from judging the gentlemen in your photograph, apparently it may have been up to the whim of the individual.  

To comment on your other questions regarding Hemingway and other organizations; you must remember that Hemingway served in the American Red Cross in Italy.  Based upon the wide variety of uniforms worn by ARC volunteers in Italy during the winter of 1917-1918, I would be reluctant to make any broad sweeping statements about what was regulation and what was not.  As far as the horizontal service stripes are concerned, yes that does seem to be the Red Cross version of overseas stripes.  I had an identified ARC uniform grouping and it has the exact similar horizontal stripes that corresponded with the amount of time the man had served in France.  

You also need to consider that between November 11, 1918 and mid-1919 the patch craze swept the A.E.F. as everybody was going back home and wanted to show some bling.  (The 332nd Infantry won that contest by the way.). 

140D0AFE-CEEA-4B22-A281-FB46E0E4EA37_1_105_c.jpeg