B24 Bombadier

mp44

Picked up this group--had a letter from his wife saying he was shot down on a mission over the oil fields. He was inturned in prison camp in Saigon, Germany on Easter Sunday 1944. General George Patton's army liberated the prisioners on Easter Sunday 1945. This information comes from the letter his wife wrote. His name was Dario Pitotti--he was a member of the 454 bomb group. He passed away in 2004.

post-4673-0-09454000-1435701153.jpg

The item from Munich is a small hand held pocket mirror. I was very suprised to find the small catapillar pin in this group.

KASTAUFFER

Nice to find a German POW tag with a U.S. Tag kept together!

He was shot down 5/24/44

Kurt

KASTAUFFER

Stalag Luft 3 at Sagan was moved to Mossberg ( Stalag VIIA) late in the war ( January 1945) to escape the advancing Russian forces and was liberated by US Forces in April 1945.

Kurt

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I know it has been a while since this post was made, however I'm reaching out to MP44 that started this thread to see if he/she still has these items in his/her possession. I'm not sure anyone will believe me, but these are actually my grandfather's items that had mistakenly been put up for auction as part of his estate. I came across this post just doing some online research about him and was in awe to find that someone had some of his war memorabilia. The above posts are correct about when/where he was shot down and taken as a POW, however he actually died in 2009 (not 2004, probably just a typo or illegible handwriting on behalf of my grandmother who wrote the note accompanying these items.) If MP44 is still active in this group and still has these items, please respond to this thread as I'm trying to locate my grandfather's materials. I'd be happy to validate my connection to him in any way possible if you are concerned about fraudulent claims. Thank you for your time and please, please reach out to me if at all possible.

• 3 years later...
On 12/13/2016 at 11:24 AM, chris3bs said:

You can message MP44 as well. You can also make a moderator aware that you are looking for him too.

Chris

Thank you Chris. I never heard back from MP44 and never figured out how to follow up with a moderator. Do you have any guidance on how to do that? 

• 3 months later...