Blue denim uniforms

I bought these in 1994 out of a warehouse known as "The Hole". Found the shirt and paid $4.00 total. A few months later I found the pants and again paid a whopping $4.00 total. A very good price even in 1994. Funny thing is someone had relaced the normal "U.S. ARMY" metal buttons with 13-Star riveted metal buttons on the shirt. Looks like it had been done a very long time ago though.

post-96964-0-11145000-1421203744.jpg

post-96964-0-48244300-1421203748.jpg

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

post-344-1171066136.jpg

You asked to see some buttons off the blue denims, here are a couple, the large ones were used on the shirt / jackets. The small one were used on the trouser fly's with one large one on the waistband. Note that the large ones have the word army on the bottom of the button and the small one do not. These aluminum buttons were also used on some of the summer khaki trousers pre WWII.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Thanks, I've never seen that kind of buttons before. I was looking at Stanton's WWII Uniform book today and he mentions 1938 Pattern and 1940 blue denim. These uniforms intrigue me because they look more like prison-issue than Army-issue.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

During WWI they had brown denim jackets and trousers similar to the blue ones that Bryan started this thread with, the buttons were metal painted brown and circular with a dished rivit in the centre. Then between wars they went to blue denim, with the aluminum buttons shown earlier and then they went to olive drab herringbone twill, with several styles of buttons, but the thirteen star ones being the most common. The WWI and WWII denim ones were pull-over the head types with openings down to mid chest, the HBT ones were fully front opening.

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

post-344-1171639244.jpg

Regarding blue denim I just thought about this magazine cover that I have framed on the wall. It is the Saturday Evening Post, October 1941, and the front cover is a Norman Rockwell. I just love the composition of the picture, the character of the faces, the blue denim and that Norman Rockwell imagery. What I would give (if I had it) for the original of this picture.

Regarding the blue PW uniforms, there was a local POW compound down by the train tracks in 1945. The German prisoners worked the harvest and lived in wooden barracks within the wire enclosed compound. About twenty years ago, the cook house and two barracks were still standing and overgrown with weeds. They were used by local bums and dopers and we (the police) were constantly checking the compound and running folks out of the area.

There were two bundles of what had been these blue PW uniforms still in the barracks. The uniforms were completely rotten and had been picked through by bums, rats, etc over the years and were unusable. The whole place burned to the ground about 15 years ago and every trace is now gone. The only thing still there to tell the tale is the ramains of a rusted out towed field kitchen. The city had no interest in preserving any of this local history and there is now a concrete parking lot for a lumberyard in that spot.

Historical artifacts, and history itself, are quite fleeting.

"You can't please everyone so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have this one in my collection. This denim jacket was found in southern France.

DEAD LINK 1/13/15

doinworkinvans

My interest is all about the US paratroopers in Normandy and Southern France.

I like too the FSSF and his action in Southern France.

• 6 years later...