1777th Engineers Construction Battalion... SSI?

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

A friend of the family recently gave me some paperwork and pictures that belonged to his Father who served with the 1777th Engineer Construction Battalion during WWII. They served in both Europe and the Pacific. I wanted to finish off the display with a nice patch, but i cant find any information if they wore one or not. I looked at the pics carefully but its too hard to make out anything.

Anyone have an idea? thanks!

post-52765-0-26089600-1435505588.jpg

lamarhooten

Have been putting together a Engineer patch colection for awhile now and have not come across a 1777th Eng. Con. Bat. patch at all. Must have worn the higher Cnd. patch that the unit was under. Could be wrong and would love to see one if anyone has a pic of it.

There is no known SSI (yet) for this battalion. As said earlier, if one was worn, it was an SSI for an Army, Corps, or other command.

May we see a close up of the Discharge, maybe there's a clue to what unit it was in when in the Phillipines.

As to when it was in the ETO, my best guess would be it was a ETO Advance Base (COMZ ) controlled unit, as it aparrently served exclusively albeit briefly in France. It getting to the theater in April 1945, it has no Campaign credits in the ETO, meaning it didn't set foot in Germany, not at least when the war was still in progress. It departs France on June 16 1945, and gets to the PI July 16, not sure how it traveled, via the Mediterranean/Suez or across the Atlantic through the Panama Canal out into the Pacific.

The ETO Advance Base (COMZ) patch.

post-34986-0-56498200-1435547328.jpg

Thanks AC, I was hoping there would of been more info on the higher command organization in the ORGANIZATION box, even if was only an abbreviation, unit abbreviations are for the most part easy to decipher by those familiar with researching things like this. On which patch he might of worn in both the PI and later is a toughy, they could of been assigned to a few different units, I'll look around some more.

BigDogMilitaria

thanks for the info, i appreciate it! I have some photos, had the magnifying glass out, but no luck!

thanks for the info, i appreciate it! I have some photos, had the magnifying glass out, but no luck!

Those photos look like they're Basic Training photos, not much help in finding his OS unit shoulder patch.

Since he was in the Philippines last, he would have most likely worn an 8th Army patch. A lot of the smaller engineering, signals, and support units there wore either a Western Pacific Forces, Pacific Ocean Area, and/or 8th Army patch. I have seen uniforms with both of them (right and left sleeves).

Since he was in the Philippines last, he would have most likely worn an 8th Army patch. A lot of the smaller engineering, signals, and support units there wore either a Western Pacific Forces, Pacific Ocean Area, and/or 8th Army patch. I have seen uniforms with both of them (right and left sleeves).

Right but it the unit went up to Japan for a spot of occupation duty, so what do you think zotig, a toss up between either 8th Army or 6th Army right?

greendevilsix

My Grandfather was assigned to this battalion throughout his time in the Army and based only on photos my family has of him during this peroid, he wore 6th Army.

My Grandfather was assigned to this battalion throughout his time in the Army and based only on photos my family has of him during this peroid, he wore 6th Army.

That's sounds about right Greendevil, 6th Army was also in the PI as we know, and then went to Japan for occupation duties.

And there you have it, first hand knowledge.

post-34986-0-00492500-1435714944.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

thankyou for all the information and work fellas. The Vets son is coming over for a visit tomorrow and I will have the riker display up and looking nice!

thankyou for all the information and work fellas. The Vets son is coming over for a visit tomorrow and I will have the riker display up and looking nice!

Don't forget to let him read this topic, its confusing but it's a good read :lol:

• 5 years later...

My Paternal Grandfather has HQ & SV CO 1777th Engr., Const BN on this Headstone application. I've never been told anything abut his time in the service. Could someone point me in the right direction for more info. 

TN

4 hours ago, Tanunnery said:

My Paternal Grandfather has HQ & SV CO 1777th Engr., Const BN on this Headstone application. I've never been told anything abut his time in the service. Could someone point me in the right direction for more info. 

TN

The easy (and free) button to your request is to google the battalion, spelling it out in its entirety and using abbreviations. HQ & Svc Co did not build anything, but insured projects were completed, supplies were avail, etc. think of a construction battalion as soldiers involved in similar projects as the construction industry - carpenters, plumbers, electricians, concretemen, roofers, etc. they have completed projects in captured towns/villages or on army bases.

The next way is to contact National Archives & Records Administration, and request a records pull on the battalion. They charge you for each page they copy, which was $1.75/pg last time I looked. They may not be fully operational at this time. You might hire a researcher who might have a chance of obtaining records, but many handle only requests of individual servicemen.

good luck

• 1 year later...

A little late to the party but here’s a photo of c company I found. They look to be wearing the 6th army patch. I’m not sure where or when this photo was taken unfortunately.

73CBF66A-BAA0-4CA0-994B-056AB9306D6C.jpeg

3D248DF3-DB23-433B-BCC6-F2A69A1297FC.jpeg

C2B68F00-E101-4788-B51A-5BCF476232FC.jpeg

D7E01846-0DB8-4532-B337-A19D70DA62AE.jpeg

5 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

The bottom row of soldiers look like the have the army's service force patch on. Not the sixth army

You are correct