2 INCH 1920'S US PILOTS WING REAL OR NOVELTY?

jefmil

2 INCH 1920'S US PILOTS WING. WING HAS 90 DEGREE PIN WITH STRAIGHT DROP IN CATCH. INCISED "STERLING" ON BACK LEFT SIDE OF WING AND INCISED "WING" ON BACK RIGHT SIDE.

IS THIS A GOOD LEGIT PIECE WORN BY US AIRMEN, A SWEETHEART PIECE GIVEN TO GIRLFRIENDS, ETC. OR OUTRIGHT NOVELTY (FAKE)?? APPROXIMATE VALUE??

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY OPINIONS ON THIS PIECE.

SORRY FOR THE POOR PICTURES. IF NOT OUTRIGHT FAKE I WILL MAKE BETTER ONES.

post-11441-0-09451300-1435423794.jpeg

post-11441-0-06151400-1435423816.jpeg

THANKS,

JEFMIL

2 INCH 1920'S US PILOTS WING. WING HAS 90 DEGREE PIN WITH STRAIGHT DROP IN CATCH. INCISED "STERLING" ON BACK LEFT SIDE OF WING AND INCISED "WING" ON BACK RIGHT SIDE.

IS THIS A GOOD LEGIT PIECE WORN BY US AIRMEN, A SWEETHEART PIECE GIVEN TO GIRLFRIENDS, ETC. OR OUTRIGHT NOVELTY (FAKE)?? APPROXIMATE VALUE??

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY OPINIONS ON THIS PIECE.

SORRY FOR THE POOR PICTURES. IF NOT OUTRIGHT FAKE I WILL MAKE BETTER ONES.

attachicon.gifScan 149.jpeg

attachicon.gifScan 150.jpeg

THANKS,

JEFMIL

Hello Jefmil,

I think better images would likely improve your chance of receiving earnest opinions from other Forum members. In viewing the two images you did provide, I don't see any obvious red flags indicating the piece is a reproduction.

I've never seen any official documentation indicating these small wings were designated for wear on the overseas cap, but I do believe some WWI era Pilots displayed them in this fashion. I think it's safe to say most collectors refer to this size wing as a "sweetheart" piece as many were passed along to loved ones.

Several companies produced slightly different variations of this style of small Air Service Pilot wing...so, they're not all the same. I've included front and back images of three variations for your comparison. I believe the wing at the bottom most closely resembles your example.

Regarding value, please feel free to post images of your wing in the "What's it worth?" section for additional membership feedback and opinions...

IMG_6100a.jpg

IMG_6102b.jpg

Hi,

2" wings existed and this one has potential but you need to post some real pics - those scans are almost useless.

Regards

Mike

RUSTYWINGS

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE PIC OF THE WINGS. MINE ARE EXACTLY LIKE THE THIRD PAIR YOU POSTED AND MAKER MARKED ON THE BACK EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOURS. MY CAMERA'S FOCAL LENGTH IS POOR AND CLOSE UP PICS ARE DIFFICULT TO GET CLEAR. I WILL TRY TO ADD BETTER PICTURE TOMORROW.

SINCERELY,

JEFMIL

rustywings

Unfortunately, those images on your sales listing will be deleted by ebay within a couple of months and this thread will become of no value for reference or research. Any chance you can post those images here?

CNY Militaria

The forum doesn't allow outside links/references to one's own ebay listings, and as such those posts have been hidden.