Bad VMF 441 Squadron Patch?

Sparty On

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you should have done more research, but that will be the end of my reprimand. You have a 14 day return, so you can deal with seller before he sends it, perhaps.

The other marine patches are fake as well. One, the construction on all patches is poor quality and similar, a RED flag, and the prices should raise doubt, just to name a few things to look for. If real, and at these prices, they would have been snapped up.

If you are going to collect USMC aviation squadron patches from WWII, do not do it by yourself. Millstein's book serves as a base for learning what is out there, but it is not all inclusive. Nor, does it give you the hi res details you need to evaluate construction. You need to find some collectors who have experience with these patches and have them help you. And they will. With respect to these patches, and you have no provenance, it comes down to construction, construction, construction and construction. And that requires some time and help. If you do not know what the construction should be, or a hint of what was done in the period, you should not bid. I have never used black light or burn test, you do not need them for this class of patches.

Another fake USMC he is selling....

post-3673-0-32374400-1437343026.jpg

In my haste, I forgot to add that the patch pictured as vmf-441 is actually a reproduction of VMJ-3 (american embroidered on Wool). I have not seen nor heard of an original vmf-441 patch to date. Here is an original WWII VMJ-3.

post-3673-0-44968700-1437359161.jpg

• 1 month later...

Who made these particular reproduction patches? They all have a corduroy type base material and some people have spent some good money for really bad patches....