Old Marine

A step-by-step look at my method for building and painting figures

Dennis Very informative step by step Thanks for sharing

Tom

Well done on both the figures and the tutorial. I've been in the hobby for many years and I still learned some new techniques. I really like the way your figures look when finished.

Tom

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

This is excellent. I will definitely be using this as a reference in the near future!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

Thank you, Dennis, for sharing your tricks of the trade. Your work is exquisite! Bravo!

MSGT William Gould, 8th Weather Squadron, USAAF WWII
MAJ Abner J. Barnett, 329th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Division, USA Medical Corps WWI, WWII
T 5 A. Curtis Dufield, 147th Armored Signal Company, 7th Armored Division WWII

CAPT Thomas F. Hooper, 120th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division, WWII
"And then we all got invited to World War II and everybody's life changed." (Jean Kelly Barnett Gould 1922-2009 (My mom))
For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. (Phil. 4:11b)
"That outfit was so bad that the CHAPLAIN went over the hill with a couple of guys." William Bryson Gould 1920-2012 )(My dad))

donation2011.gif

Excellent tutorial. Dennis, thank you very much for your contribution. I'll pin this thread for further reference.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Excellent work. Painting faces was something I spent countless hours trying to master as a kid. Might have to buy a set of figures and give it a go again, just for kicks. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you all for the kind words. I hope you found something useful. Just to reiterate, paint in thin coat, you can always add more paint and shadow or highlights but once it's there it's tough to remove, patience and practice and trust your own eyes.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The detail is amazing!! I used to mess around a little with 1/6 scale figures and dioramas. However they take up so much space. It's been about 10 years since I've done anything but seeing these vignettes has really peaked my interest!

wow, love the detail using the indigo and olive combo, for that sweaty look. and i also like the way you allow yourself to play with the colors, even though differing from one figure to the next, i think it deffinately adds to the scene and story.... looks great!

Thanks for sharing this tutorial.

The largest figurines I have used so far are 1/72. Have not attempted to highlight the face in anyway. Too small for my abilities. However, since seeing this tutorial, I am inspired to experiment with detailing larger figurines.

Peter.