A step-by-step look at my method for building and painting figures

Old Marine

Well done on both the figures and the tutorial. I've been in the hobby for many years and I still learned some new techniques. I really like the way your figures look when finished.

Tom

Proud Kraut

Excellent tutorial. Dennis, thank you very much for your contribution. I'll pin this thread for further reference.

Excellent work. Painting faces was something I spent countless hours trying to master as a kid. Might have to buy a set of figures and give it a go again, just for kicks. Thanks for sharing!

Old Marine

Thank you all for the kind words. I hope you found something useful. Just to reiterate, paint in thin coat, you can always add more paint and shadow or highlights but once it's there it's tough to remove, patience and practice and trust your own eyes.

• 2 months later...

The detail is amazing!! I used to mess around a little with 1/6 scale figures and dioramas. However they take up so much space. It's been about 10 years since I've done anything but seeing these vignettes has really peaked my interest!

• 2 months later...

wow, love the detail using the indigo and olive combo, for that sweaty look. and i also like the way you allow yourself to play with the colors, even though differing from one figure to the next, i think it deffinately adds to the scene and story.... looks great!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial.

The largest figurines I have used so far are 1/72. Have not attempted to highlight the face in anyway. Too small for my abilities. However, since seeing this tutorial, I am inspired to experiment with detailing larger figurines.