8th AAF grouping at an estate sale

mvmhm

I made a random stop at an estate sale..it had been scheduled for last week but I guess the torrential down pours we had kept attendance down. I didn't expect to find anything since this was a "left overs" sale day. I found a good group of an 8th AAF Staff Sergeant's uniforms...I left a great coat, one khaki uniform (very well worn), and a footlocker, which was his brother's. The estate sale people are supposed to call of the footlocker doesn't sell (they wanted $125)...today everything was 60% off, so I got a couple hundred bucks (at their prices) for $70. Here's a picture of his brother, who served in Marine Night Fighter Squadron 541...the frame is made from aircraft plexiglass. The frame is roughly 7 X 9 inches.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-57205300-1435354830.jpg

I was happy to find these pins...the lower one is from the National Cash Register Co. here in Dayton and I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for a while. I think the Glengarry was a souvenir from his time in the U.K....

post-3423-0-59825800-1435354944.jpg

post-3423-0-50729600-1435354955.jpg

His ribbons..the GCM and ETO are Brit made and plastic coated. I asked if there were any medals, badgers etc, and they said there were none....I was hoping to find his picture or some doco or something, but no joy in Mudville. I normally wouldn't buy another Ike grouping but the discount was steep and I wanted the ties and socks, as well as that NCR pin....I also knew it might end up at the local goodwill if no one bought them...

Mark sends

post-3423-0-81525500-1435355192.jpg

No, I haven't done any more research on him...but the company called today and they're going to sell the Marine Night Fighter's footlocker with the rest of Joe's AAF stuff to me for $40. I'll pick that up this evening.

Mark sends

Went and got the footlocker this evening...here's the brother's footlocker everything was found in...the shipping tag was still intact on the bottom as well....

post-3423-0-22378800-1436571310.jpg

post-3423-0-64354800-1436571316.jpg

...and a summer uniform and winter weight flight cap....she thinks there might be photo of him somewhere..it had been in a trench art frame with two 50 cal shells, but someone at the estate sale took the picture out because they only wanted the frame (????)...

Mark sends

post-3423-0-92191700-1436571459.jpg

post-3423-0-61838600-1436571465.jpg

wow, neat finds, I think my uncle was with the 8th or maybe it was the 9th in England in the PRS, he was shot down and killed on his 50th mission, was to be his last before going home to see a daughter he had not seen yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
vernonshattuck

Very nice find and thanks for posting. I have always like collecting the mighty 8th since my earlier days watching the series 12 o'clock high. You have to be old to remember this TV series.