Cased Distinguished Service Medal

klinsmann

Hello all.

I just want to show your this beatiful médal, its my favorite us medal, I hope you like it as much as I do.

post-103690-0-02179200-1435318068.jpg

post-103690-0-84060800-1435318072.jpg

post-103690-0-80932100-1435318077.jpg

• 3 years later...
CNY Militaria

Beautiful set! The cases are tough to find. I have a number of WWII DSM's I can post if you're interested.

• 1 year later...

Very nice cased DSM you shared klinsmann, hope you enjoy my post.

Here is a unique Distinguished Service Medal in Lieu of Certificate of Merit.

post-134470-0-31850500-1575654003_thumb.jpeg

http://www.medalmulisha.com/sillito-dsm-com.html

United States Army Master Sergeant Louis A. Sillito (Serial #56-010) was born in Nashville Tennessee in 1871, & he grew up in Minnesota Sillito enlisted as a Private in the Army Hospital corps during the Spanish American War in 1898. He was stationed in Guantanamo, Cuba with the 3rd United States Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Co. C. On Sept 1st 1898, & he was awarded the Certificate of Merit for nursing yellow fever patients.

From 1901 through 1916 Sillito served with the 28th Infantry Regiment, the 28th first saw combat service from December 1901 to January 1904 during the PhilippineAmerican War where Sillito's regiment was heavily involved in counter-guerrilla operations. During the years 19061908, the regiment, minus one battalion, performed guard and police duty as part of the American forces of Cuban Occupation. The 28th Regiment was back in the Philippine's during the Moro Rebellion (1899-1913).

In 1913 Sillito still serving with the 28th Infantry was ordered to Texas to assist in guarding the Mexican border against raids by Pancho Villa.

By the time United States entered into World War I, Sillito was a Color Sergeant in the 28th regiment was assigned to the First Expeditionary Division June 8th 1917, which later became the 1st Infantry Division "The Big Red One". Sergeant Sillito Departed New York, NY bound for France on the SS Antilles June 14th 1917. On the morning of Oct. 23rd 1918 the first American Shell was fired tiwards German Lines by a 1st Division Artillery Unit. The 28th Infantry Regiment scored the first American Victory against the Germans in April 1918 when it captured the small village of Cantigny and took 250 German Prisoners of War. The 28th was thereafter known as the "Black Lions of Cantigny". Sergeant Sillito & The Big Red One fought on the Montdidier-Noyon, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, & Meuse-Argonne Battlefields.

Color Sergeant Sillito departed Brest, France on the Transport ship U.S.S. Orizaba Aug. 22nd 1919. Sillito retired from the Army after World War I as a Master Sergeant.

Sergeant Sillito was awarded Army Distinguished Service Medal #1485 on April 8th 1921, in Lieu of the Certificate of Merit Medal, under the provisions of the act of Congress July 9th 1918. When the Certificate of Merit was disestablished by Act of Congress in 1918, the law provided that the "Distinguished Service Medal also be issued to all enlisted men of the Army to whom the certificate of merit has been granted... in lieu of such certificates of merit, and after the passage of this act the award of the certificate of merit for distinguished service shall cease...." A total of 271 recipients applied for the Distinguished Service Medal in lieu of previously awarded Certificates of Merit.

​ His citations reads:

"The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Army Distinguished Service Medal to Louis A. Sillito, Private, U.S. Army, for volunteering to nurse and nursing yellow fever patients at Guantanamo, Cuba, on 1 September 1898, while serving as a member of Company C, 3rd Infantry Regiment."

Master Sergeant Louis A. Sillito passed away May 27th 1941. He is buried at the Fort Vancouver Military Cemetery, Clark County, Vancouver, WA. Section 3-E Site 1143.

One of our most attractive decorations in our nations hierarchy - IMNSHO. Yep, cases seem more rare than the medals. Excellent thread.

G2