Vietnam Era Utility Airborne Army Ranger Jungle Expert

bareknuckleboutique

bareknuckleboutique

Hey guys, i got my hands on this beauty the other day and was hoping to do some research on the soldier who wore it! I have havent had much success looking up service records in the past so id love some pointers on how to do so! Also, feel free to look him up if thats something youre into. The name tape says "Galington". Also on the same subject, Ive been curious about what determined when the sateen uniforms would have been worn instead of the jungle fatigues. Was it just personal preference?

I also would like to thank everybody on here who is willing and able to help other collectors learn more about fields they arent as well versed in. You guys are all a huge help.

post-158169-0-09677800-1435265705.jpg

bareknuckleboutique

Here is a close up of the patches. Would the red and black Airborne patch have been theater made?

post-158169-0-97980600-1435265918.jpg

The Airborne Ranger scroll on the right shoulder is the generic combat patch for all Korea War ranger companies veterans.

That is a very cool scroll. Interesting Ranger Tab - normally the border is green like the background and only the letters are done in black.

Example:

post-122639-0-91448600-1435270541.jpg

riflegreen297

We called those black bordered Tabs, "Hollywood Tabs". From what I have found and if these stars line up it appears Galington was African American and he served in the 2nd RANGER Company in Korea. So the black bordered Ranger tab may have had other meaning for Galington (maybe referencing back to serving in the only All Black RANGER Company). The RICA 2nd Company list has one too many "L"s in his name. But the name is spelled the same as the above name tape on the RICA Deceased Roster.

Died: 26SEP06 in Fayetteville, N.C. Ranger Galington also served in:

Detachment C-1 (Company C, Danang) Assignment Unknown

Galington Oliver W SFC 10/04/68

Detachment B-16 (1st Mobile Strike Force Command)

Galington Oliver SFC 06/01/68 10/04/68 S-4

bareknuckleboutique

The wear of a particular uniform is dictated by the command depending on location, mission and season.

thanks for the explanation! Makes sense

bareknuckleboutique

We called those black bordered Tabs, "Hollywood Tabs". From what I have found and if these stars line up it appears Galington was African American and he served in the 2nd RANGER Company in Korea. So the black bordered Ranger tab may have had other meaning for Galington (maybe referencing back to serving in the only All Black RANGER Company). The RICA 2nd Company list has one too many "L"s in his name. But the name is spelled the same as the above name tape on the RICA Deceased Roster.

Died: 26SEP06 in Fayetteville, N.C. Ranger Galington also served in:

Detachment C-1 (Company C, Danang) Assignment Unknown

Galington Oliver W SFC 10/04/68

Detachment B-16 (1st Mobile Strike Force Command)

Galington Oliver SFC 06/01/68 10/04/68 S-4

Man, i really appreciate the info! So happy to know a bit of the original owners history.