Got these 2 new patches - any good? USAF & USMC

flashesandovals

JerseyDevil117

The one on the left looks japanese made, not sure about the one on the right. But it might be vietnamese made.

flashesandovals

Thanks

I have been searching this pretty good website for it, but no luck: http://www.usafpatches.com/

Apparently it was used in the Lebanon in 1983 - would they have deployed from Japan (if it was Japanese made)?

The USMC says Vietnam, but could it be VN made?

Thanks

I have been searching this pretty good website for it, but no luck: http://www.usafpatches.com/

Apparently it was used in the Lebanon in 1983 - would they have deployed from Japan (if it was Japanese made)?

The USMC says Vietnam, but could it be VN made?

No, a lot of units and organizations had patches made that came either from Japan or Taiwan. For example, when I was in Civil Air Patrol, we had patches made up for the 1986 Wisconsin Flight Encampment. They were done overseas and had the same embroidery detailing.

-Ski

flashesandovals

No, a lot of units and organizations had patches made that came either from Japan or Taiwan. For example, when I was in Civil Air Patrol, we had patches made up for the 1986 Wisconsin Flight Encampment. They were done overseas and had the same embroidery detailing.

-Ski

I see. Thanks!

Here is an example of the same company's work. This is a class patch for a Pilot Training Squadron at Sheppard that I got off a pilot. His unit had these done and they came straight from overseas. It might be possible that these patches still might have been made in the US, but I can't verify that.

-Ski

post-3043-0-51665700-1435264046.jpg

flashesandovals

The marine one is a fake/fantasy... Vietnamese made, but pretty recent. Like the other tho!

Good - thank you!

flashesandovals

Here is an example of the same company's work. This is a class patch for a Pilot Training Squadron at Sheppard that I got off a pilot. His unit had these done and they came straight from overseas. It might be possible that these patches still might have been made in the US, but I can't verify that.

-Ski

I remember seeing Army Aviation pocket patches that has "Made in Taiwan" stickers on them.

I remember seeing Army Aviation pocket patches that has "Made in Taiwan" stickers on them.

Yep, and just about all of your USAF squadron patches for the past 20 years or so have been made in Taiwan. The price of freedom or something like that.......

-Ski

I was in and offshore of Beruit in 1983 and 1984. Not sure what the airforce patch is celebrating to the best of my knowledge it was just us squids and a bunch of Marines ashore. Cause it wasn't a war the army and others couldn't be ashore. The Bob hope patch looks like a fake to me.

With that being said I add my standard disclaimer I have been wrong before

According to the net, Bob was in the Lebanon area in December of 83. I think the patch was for the unit that transported him down there. The 42 Air Refueling Sq. flew KC-135s and very well could have been tasked with taking him there. The patch looks Korean hand made and very typical of the era, I see no problems with it as far as construction goes.

Randy