Army corps of engineers patch.

medalcollector

medalcollector

Hello all,

I came accross this patch on eBay. This is quite different than what you normally see, a castle with unit insignia. I was able to figure out it was army corps of engineers. But couldn't find any other information about the patch and what their role was compared to other army engineers assigned to other fighting units. Could someone please enlighten me?

This is all I found. http://www.usarmypatches.com/WW1%20A-Z.htm

Thanks in advance.

post-151439-0-14948100-1435202228.jpg

world war I nerd

That's the Office of Chief Engineers ... an Engineer castle within the letter 'C'. Not a very common WW I patch.

That's the Office of Chief Engineers ... an Engineer castle within the letter 'C'. Not a very common WW I patch.

Do you know the C stand for, Corps as in Corps of Engineers or C for Chief? I wouldn't think it stood for Castle. Any way would this be Office of THE Chief of Engineers, not sure what Office of Chief Engineers would be.

There is a "Chief of" for all branches, Infantry, Artillery and so on, they set doctrine, evaluate new equipment, establish training requirements and any thing else for their branch but they don't actually command troops

Do you know the C stand for, Corps as in Corps of Engineers or C for Chief? I wouldn't think it stood for Castle. Any way would this be Office of THE Chief of Engineers, not sure what Office of Chief Engineers would be.

I imagine the C is for Chief, as in the Chief of Engineers.

http://www.hqda.army.mil/daen/chief_of_engineers.html

Any one know just what this unit/echelon did in the AEF? Would this unit/echelon be in the AEF, or is this a stateside organization,that overseas stripe being for previous service in an AEF unit?

world war I nerd

I'm 99% sure that that the Office of Chief Engineer was an AEF organization. Shoulder patches were not authorized for stateside units, but of course that didn't stop some stateside units from adopting a SSI of their own. This practice however, seemed to be limited to only the stateside units that were somehow affiliated with the AEF, like the divisions that were training to go overseas but didn't make before the Armistice was signed and the troops that ran the Ports of Embarkation ... the personnel posted to the 12 eastern seaboard ports from which the Doughboys shipped out.

I'm pretty sure that the Office of Chief Engineer coordinated and directed the many specialized engineer regiments that were required by the AEF to keep it running smoothly. I believe that the engineer branch of the AEF was one of the largest in terms of personnel.

They built ports, roads, warehouses, hospitals storage warehouses, fuel facilities, telegraph lines, railroads, etc. Plus there were regiments composed of lumberjacks who felled trees and operated sawmills, operated the searchlights that scanned the skies for enemy aircraft at night, and so on.