Desert Storm Identification

helmetc

Hello,

Besides the obvious Chocolate chip pattern I had trouble dating this kevlar helmet. I pick it up at a flea market for around 70 USD (I hope I didnt over pay). Anyways with the USMC stamp on the front, I really liked the helmet.

I tried looking on the inner ear of the helmet looking for a company name and or date, but I havnt seen anything. In the middle I have found a 96/95 and an M-2 mark.

Is this correct? Did I over pay? Any idea of what I actually found?

Due to the file size of the pictures, you can find the pictures here;

http://helmetcollectables.com/desert-storm-kevlar/

I dont mean to 'spam'.

Thanks for those who know!

The mold mark date (96/95) is the approximate manufacture date. There should be inkstamped info on the inside left rear, but sometimes that's hidden by the suspension or is rubbed off. The 'M-1' means size Medium. Take the cover off and see what you have. Looks like a nice, typical, PASGT helmet. And $70 isn't terrible - you can find these for less but it's not a big thing.

The mold mark date (96/95) is the approximate manufacture date. There should be inkstamped info on the inside left rear, but sometimes that's hidden by the suspension or is rubbed off. The 'M-1' means size Medium. Take the cover off and see what you have. Looks like a nice, typical, PASGT helmet. And $70 isn't terrible - you can find these for less but it's not a big thing.

I have looked for inkstamp, although I guess it has been rubbed off. Thanks for the input though!

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

$70 isn't too bad, the helmet and suspension usually sells for around $40-50, the sweatband for $5-10, the nape-pad $5-7, and the cover for $2-7.

While it is 'Desert Storm" style and has the look, as stated before the helmet was made around 1996. I believe the USMC EGA stamping are done by the individual Marine with private-purchase stamps. If I recall correctly the stamps are more of a Somali thing. It also looks like this nape strap is attached with Velcro, which is the later style, the earlier ones were attached with metal clips.

post-153751-0-30975400-1433100081.jpg
Here are two styles of the metal clips.
Nice helmet and welcome to the forum.
EDIT: By the way M-2 means means it is size medium, I do not know what the number stands for but I believe it is the mold.

$70 isn't too bad, the helmet and suspension usually sells for around $40-50, the sweatband for $5-10, the nape-pad $5-7, and the cover for $2-7.

While it is 'Desert Storm" style and has the look, as stated before the helmet was made around 1996. I believe the USMC EGA stamping are done by the individual Marine with private-purchase stamps. If I recall correctly the stamps are more of a Somali thing. It also looks like this nape strap is attached with Velcro, which is the later style, the earlier ones were attached with metal clips.

Here are two styles of the metal clips.
Nice helmet and welcome to the forum.
EDIT: By the way M-2 means means it is size medium, I do not know what the number stands for but I believe it is the mold.

Thanks for the information. Everyone has really helped me understand what I have. Im definitely glad I have joined the forum, now I ask my self why I havent sooner. Thanks again!

Helmetc

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Also, if you take the helmet cover off, there should be some information stamped inside of the cover, that includes the contract number which will look something like this; DLA100-93-D-3114, there a bunch of different ones but as long as its three letters then the number 100, that's the contract number, the number after 100, in this example, 93, is the year the contract was made, 1993, this gives you a rough timeframe of when it was made, keep in mind that contracts can last for several years.

If it is tough to read, try the night-vision feature on a camera because it makes the ink much easier to see.

I usually see these go for between $45-$60 at gun shows.

So $70 isn't too bad.

The thing that may make it worth more is the EGA if it is authentic.

I do not know much about Kevlar helmets so I can not tell you one way or the other whether Marines marked their helmets like that during the 1990s.

This helmet also has the modifications done for airborne use: the triangular pad at the rear and the strap at the back with the velcro loops for attaching to the chipstrap. That might make it worth a bit more than a standard helmet.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

b229, I belive paratroopers also inserted a circular foam "doughnut" pad above the suspension.