WWI Officer's Visor Cap Insignia - Issue or private purchase?

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

I salvaged this off of a WWI Officer's Visor cap that was to far gone to save. I'm no expert, but most of these I've seen have been flat, this one seems to have nice detail and what appears to be a manufactured curve to it (meaning not crudely done by hand). I can't find any markings on the back to Id the manufacture. Can anyone educate me on this badge? Is it common or maybe a private purchase?

Thanks
Troy

post-33000-0-80244600-1435094989.jpg post-33000-0-32927900-1435094996.jpg

post-33000-0-57117400-1435095027.jpg

All officer uniform and insignia is private purchase! With regard to this particular badge, it is a fairly common US made type. Cap badges at this time were of many different styles according to the makers.

CB

USMC-RECON0321

All officer uniform and insignia is private purchase! With regard to this particular badge, it is a fairly common US made type. Cap badges at this time were of many different styles according to the makers.

CB

Thank you for the information. I guess the curve in the badge through me off? The others I've looked at are flat, including many pictures of others posted. Maybe this one was just hand done?

Troy

I believe some were made with a curve, but many were also curved by the individual to his preference. It does not really make any difference.

CB