Unknown green wool "Hawkeyes" squadron patch that just sold

ocsfollowme

vintageproductions

Australian made, 5th air force related. Usually you see it with a gold colored background.

ocsfollowme

I find it interesting that this patch came in three colors. I understand the traditional golden Aussie backing. Do you think that it represents different units within the 29th recon? Or simply a patch variation.

Johnny Signor

Yes ,There's a site online about the Group and it has a small image showing each of the "Bird" emblems with various color background discs to signify each of the Squadrons in the Group .

ocsfollowme

Eureka!! I figured with three colors it must be something like this. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Johnny!

pararaftanr2

Notice how the bird's right wing differs between the patch and the artwork? Do you guys happen to know which of the two versions is "correct"? Just curious.

ocsfollowme

they could be both correct. at least the patches are the same. could have been the artists depiction but then the patch maker did something different. It would be nice to see some nose art on the plane.

Johnny Signor

Sometimes they ran out of patches for new unit members and had more made, the places weren't always the same , so this sometimes caused "variations" in the designs , you see this with a lot of the units if you really look into them......

Actually if you look close , both wings are different then the squadron images , one artist did the image I posted and someone else obviously did the patches , probably totally different times and places too .