Unusual Red Army Technician 5th Grade

hardstripe

I picked up this chevron at the recent OVMS show. Construction is very similar to the usual OD on dark blue wool Army chevrons of the WWII era but with a red wool background. Anybody know what organization used this chevron?

post-60620-0-62217900-1435069396.jpg

How unusual! Everything is GI standard but the base/background cloth, maybe an error/test???

Wouldn't be a heretofore unknown example for a WWII era Bandsman would it?

Haven't seen that before, but my guess is a manufacturing error. We've seen rare Navy rates that factories assumed were going to be adopted but never were, so maybe this one was a preemptive Marine chevron when they got the word that the Army was using technician ranks? Then again, they were still making the felt on felt patches when they introduced those, and I believe the embroidered ones came out later, but I'm coming up blank for another possible explanation.

BILL THE PATCH

Maybe it's that guy in new Jersey, you know the guy with all the experimental made patches:D:lol:

Welp here's a talk on the CAP Red chevrons, if this is the case CAP, then perhaps done in error? here the manufature just banging out all the EM ranks on the books on Red Wool, not realizing that CAP would not have Technician ranks in their Grade Structure?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/97443-ww2-civil-air-patrol-chevrons/

It looks exactly like the red background wartime CAP chevrons. I'd say it's a manufacturers error. I have seen a red background sergeants chevron in the same colors with the winged prop that was all embroidered on twill and it was on an old wartime CAP uniform shirt. The weird unauthorized stuff got made and even worn sometimes.

I guess what I have is a manufacturer's sample of a WW2 CAP chevron that was never authorized and likely never worn. Another rarity for my collection!

Thanks to all of you above who replied.

Hardstripe