1943 dated canteen P.P. Inc in stainless?

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Picked this up this morning at the local flea market for a couple of bucks...1943 dated canteen, 51 dated cover, no date on the cup.. Canteen and cup are very shiny, stainless?

Anyone heard of a P.P. Inc for a manufacturer of canteens? Looks legit but the metal leaves me wondering if not made in Japan?

The cup is of the same material except the handle, the handle has the typical finish...

post-155518-0-73284400-1435061378.jpg

post-155518-0-09289300-1435061385.jpg

The set looks right to me.The Japanese ones I have encountered are not U.S. marked or wartime dated.

Typically they are marked "JAPAN" or "MADE in JAPAN"

Havent encountered this maker before but I have a canteen or two in a polished stainless finnish.Whether done war time or post war surplus polished I cant say.

The list I have mentions PP as Poloron Products Inc. which made CRS (stainless) canteens in 1943 and 1944.

Nice looking set. The cup looks like an early model.

phantomfixer

Cool thanks guys...was hoping it was legit. I wonder why the high polish...seems like it would attract attention....

Hello, I have run across this before, I don't know if its true or not, But I was told that on some show post, The guys would have two sets, one for inspection that they would keep polished like this. Steel wool & polish. A lot of work but it can be done....

phantomfixer

Thanks for the info..... I can just see that guy sitting there polishing his mess kit because he lost his weekend pass....

My best buddy went to Germany in 54 and as soon as he got there whoever was in charge told all the new guys to polish to a high shine all of their mess gear.

Ronnie

Sorry, but still don't understand why they would go to all the trouble of polishing the canteen? Surely it's meant to be unpolished, why wouldnt they leave it?

• 1 year later...

I have a set that is chromed because the cup handle is flaking. The canteen is a 1945 S.M. co. Chrome covers most of the cup handle so can't read a date or manufacturer. Someone went that extra length to have these plated instead of an all night polishing.

Hey what's wrong with picking our nose, er, I mean, yeah right, keep em busy. I remember at basic when my drill instructor had us polish the pipes in the latrine. Boy you would think they were brand new.

• 3 years later...

I just picked up a m1942, 1944 dated G.P. & F. Co. bottle.  I believe it to be chromed and not polished.  I believe this because of the maker's stamp on the bottom has the filled in plated appearance but, more convincingly are the threads for the cap; they are the same shiny appearance as the rest of the bottle.  Someone polishing these would not bother to polish threads that are hidden by the cap. And, quite difficult to polish threads evenly.  Just my observation on this new pick-up.  Oh, the plastic cap is dated "43".  Thanks.