• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WW-I Officer'sService Cover EGA - real or replica?

I picked this up a couple days ago. It is clearly cast as there is glaring evidence of mold parting seams on the rope and the screwpost. My question is....is there any evidence that these might have been cast after the war, either in France or Germany?

After looking it over, my assessment is that it is a replica. I've been in contact with the seller and he has agreed to take it back for full refund if I want but before doing so, I'd like to get some opinions from the EGA experts.

The pictures below show front and back. Since I wanted to leave them a bit larger to show more detail, only two will fit in this post so I'll follow up with other detail shots.

post-1107-1217633159.jpg post-1107-1217633178.jpg

Semper fi; Bill

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

SSgt,

Ebay item number: 350081112848. This one and all the others that this E-bay seller has listed (multiple times I might add) are poor quality reproduction/fantasy pieces. Some forum members have discussed these, I don't know where the post is. They can tell you why it is no good.

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.
info@eagleglobeandanchor.com
My website:www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

Hi Bill, sadly your suspicions about the piece are correct. It is a fantasy piece, and rather crudely done as evidenced by the better photo's you have posted. Very simply, everything about this piece that could be wrong... is wrong, as you have shown in the composite photo. And with respect to any like with post WW1 emblems... very simply no. The cast items you've seen from the collections in the recent thread on the topic, do come with a "history" and when compared side-by-side have entirely different appearance, cut and patina. I believe the seller began listing these about a month ago. One of the EGA forum mod's had contacted the seller surreptitiously about the emblem and found out there was a dress mate that came with this one. And pic's were forth coming... but, were never sent. I suppose we concluded it would be best to wait... to see what this seller was up to as there was were no previous sales from the seller of these fakes. Now with two sales and a third up for sale, one can conclude there is likely a relationship of "maker & seller". At which time "brig" posted here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry172394 That being said, you are not the first nor last to acquire a fantasy or fake. We've all "been there, done that". And thank you for posting these pictures, its helps us all identify who is making and selling these pieces. Semper Fi, Darrell

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Bill, sadly your suspicions about the piece are correct. It is a fantasy piece, and rather crudely done as evidenced by the better photo's you have posted. Very simply, everything about this piece that could be wrong... is wrong, as you have shown in the composite photo. And with respect to any like with post WW1 emblems... very simply no. The cast items you've seen from the collections in the recent thread on the topic, do come with a "history" and when compared side-by-side have entirely different appearance, cut and patina. I believe the seller began listing these about a month ago. One of the EGA forum mod's had contacted the seller surreptitiously about the emblem and found out there was a dress mate that came with this one. And pic's were forth coming... but, were never sent. I suppose we concluded it would be best to wait... to see what this seller was up to as there was were no previous sales from the seller of these fakes. Now with two sales and a third up for sale, one can conclude there is likely a relationship of "maker & seller". At which time "brig" posted here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry172394 That being said, you are not the first nor last to acquire a fantasy or fake. We've all "been there, done that". And thank you for posting these pictures, its helps us all identify who is making and selling these pieces. Semper Fi, Darrell

Thanks Darrell. The seller was "kind" enough to accept return for a full refund (less postage, of course) so I'm only out that much. I wish I'd remembered seeing that before accepting the second chance offer. It would have been one less "nut roll" to have to go through this week.

Semper fi; Bill

Just to close this saga out (at least for me)....

I returned the EGA last week and the seller gave me a full refund (including my original postage). I returned it to him via priority mail as he told me in an e-mail that he would like to have it back by last Thursday. He indicated he had another buyer for it and had to deliver it this weekend. I don't know who the new buyer is but I'm happy to get my entire investment, including postage, back.

Semper fi; Bill

PLeased to hear it went well. Sadly the officer version of this phoney sold for 150 and change. And hopefully the last we see of these? s/f Darrell

phoney_officer_emblem_ww1.jpg

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

• 4 months later...

Fellow forum members:

You are in the "EGA reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage and further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion" area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.