Patton patch flag

WorldWarPatches

WorldWarPatches

I started this project 2 years ago. I was contacted by PattonThirdArmy.com about patches for a flag they wanted to replicate. Turns out, it is the flag that was given to Gen. George Patton just weeks before the crash that took his life.

When Patton was relieved of command of the 3rd Army he was distraught. Major General Robert M. Littlejohn, Chief Quartermaster of the ETO during WW 2 had a flag made of all the units that Patton commanded during WW 2 and presented it to Patton in a private ceremony.

I was amazed with the flag that is in the Patton museum in KY. I wanted to be part of the flag creation. I was given control of the project and here is the finished product. 1st image is from the library of congress where Patton’s scrapbook is, showing General's Littlejohn and Patton holding the flag in late 1945.

The 3rd Army flag is made of silk with Metal bullion hand embroidered wheat stalks and fringe. All the patches are original WW 2 vintage and no expense was spared. The flag measures 55" X 40". This one goes to PattonThirdArmy.com and will be on display in Rockford, IL this September during the WW 2 reenactment weekend. he other 2 are almost done and their homes have yet to be determined. I'll post more images.

post-119983-0-36075000-1434847396.jpeg

post-119983-0-55992600-1434848232.jpg

Great project

Correct me if I'm wrong but there appears to be a number of merrowed edge patches on the the flag?

Phill

WorldWarPatches

Great project

Correct me if I'm wrong but there appears to be a number of merrowed edge patches on the the flag?

Phill

An edging was added to each patch for mounting.

You have captured a really amazing piece of history here. I am in awe of the detail and craftsmanship. Well done!!

More close-ups.

Patrick, something that I noticed: that 101st AB Div patch is an amoebe-shaped eye. I remember a discussion here on the Forum saying a specific Type 3 was post-WW2 manufactured. Few people were sceptical about that (see below)... Just a thought...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/237297-trying-to-identify-this-screaming-eagle-patch/page-3

All the patches are original WW2-manufactured, I guess every detail was considered too, such as the same variations as in Gen. Patton's picture?

Very nicely done by the way! Congrats!

H.

Some one asked if he really commanded that many units in Third Army. Yes, but not all at once. During the course of his command in Europe from August 1944 through the end of the war, including VJ Day in August 1945, each patch reflects a unit that had been placed under his command either briefly or for a long period of time. These also include Corps level commands. They do not include units smaller than division level. Estimates vary but there were near 1,500,000 or more US soldiers who could say they were under his command at one time or another in Europe. On July 7, 1945 he was in command of the largest single US Army, in the field, in Europe. From that point on the numbers began to dwindle due to time served and transfers of whole divisions back to the states or over to staging areas for service in other theaters. The Third US Army was also to be left in Europe, for a time, as the Army of Occupation of Germany. Major General Littlejohn was good friends with Patton and was chief quartermaster for the European Theater, assigned to SHAEF.

Denny

blitzkrieg gsd

Very nice and some good history that you have told us here. I have been to the Patton museum many times and have seen this flag in person. Your recreation is a great tribute to one of the best Gererals this country has ever produced.

Very nice project, looks great!

I was at the Patton museum after the SOS this year but did not see this, has it been moved recently?

Alan

WorldWarPatches

Very nice project, looks great!

I was at the Patton museum after the SOS this year but did not see this, has it been moved recently?

Alan

When I started this project the flag was on display, since moving the Armoerd part to Fort Benning GA the falg has been in the storage aera of the museum. It's shame they have not put it back on display.