Mountain Div Footwear ???

I need help from you Mountain Troop experts on this one.

Does anyone have pics of what the 10th Mountain Div footwear looks like? I saw a pair of brown leather square toe shoes today in a shop. They look to be of 1940's vintage and were advertised as ski shoes. They look very similar to the standard brown service shoe of the late 30's early 40's but with a square toe. I believe the soles were marked 'Goodyear'. They were laced up so I didn't see inside them but I could find no other markings anywhere. Mountain equipment is not my area so I defer to you all. Thanks in advance to all who can help.

Dan

Hey gtpcamaroz,

Well, I don't own them as I only looked and did not buy. Looking at the link you sent, they look similar but not exact. The same brown smooth leather shoe and square toe. There was no metal re-enforcements on the sides of the soles like I see in the pics and also there's no loop on the rear of the shoe. The toe didn't seem to be as high on these shoes, lower profile I guess would be correct. I have no doubt they are of the same time but could they be a civilian ski shoe of the era?

I would consider selling them if I pick them up. I won't be able to see them for another week as I won't be back that way until then. I don't believe they'll sell between now and then. I don't want to buy them and then have them not be military. More important, I don't want to try and sell them on this forum if I'm not 100% sure they are military.

Dan

Hey gtpcamaroz,

Well, I don't own them as I only looked and did not buy. Looking at the link you sent, they look similar but not exact. The same brown smooth leather shoe and square toe. There was no metal re-enforcements on the sides of the soles like I see in the pics and also there's no loop on the rear of the shoe. The toe didn't seem to be as high on these shoes, lower profile I guess would be correct. I have no doubt they are of the same time but could they be a civilian ski shoe of the era?

I would consider selling them if I pick them up. I won't be able to see them for another week as I won't be back that way until then. I don't believe they'll sell between now and then. I don't want to buy them and then have them not be military. More important, I don't want to try and sell them on this forum if I'm not 100% sure they are military.

Dan

They could be civilian issue, hard to say. If you navigate that link further, he has a section of items that are passed off as 10th Mountain but are not actually the case, one of the things he goes over is civilian ski boots versus GI issue.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Always looking for WWII 10th Mountain Division uniforms and groupings

All,

With all I'm reading here I believe they are the civilian version. I will look at them again next week with what I have learned here and probably confirm my suspesion that they are civilian. However I will take a closer look, especially on the inside for manfacturing marks and overall for any other identifying features. Thanks for all the input.

Dan