Multicam fire retardant uniforms

dee222

Can any one tell me if all U.S.Army multicam is fire proof , as I haven't seen any up close.

Cheers

Dave

ocsfollowme

No, none are fire proof. Some are fire retardant. You can tell the uniforms that are fire retardant as they have a nylon square sewn onto the cuff of them. Someone can post a photo of it. It may say on the labels, but newer labels wear off so easily, which is why they have the 3/4" green nylon square sewn onto the sleeves/cuffs.

PS: never a dumb question.

ocsfollowme

here is a uniform top. The labels do not say anything about being fire resistant. Only the nylon square sewn onto the left sleeve.

post-122868-0-57676800-1434739975.jpg

ocsfollowme

the same nylon square is on the pants. I believe that it is on the cuff, but I have been out of the army since OCT 2012 so my memory is failing me. But it is the same square on it.

ocsfollowme

You would only get fire resistance uniforms for deployments. The square can be found on ACU uniforms too. It was to make sure dumb privates and 2LTs wore them on the combat missions. We would check in PCC/PCIs pre combat checks and pre combat inspections. You would not go on a mission without the squares on your uniforms.

ocsfollowme

also, your NCO was supposed to make sure that only fire retardant uniforms were taken into theatre during pre-deployment.

Very interesting. So if we find a set of multicams with the square, there is a good chance that these would have been worn in-theater?

When did they start adding the square?

ocsfollowme

So in essence, for those collecting current uniforms that were used on deployments, you would want those with these squares. If you were making up a manikin. Otherwise, it is just a uniform worn in training on base.

ocsfollowme

Very interesting. So if we find a set of multicams with the square, there is a good chance that these would have been worn in-theater?

When did they start adding the square?

Not sure when they started with the square. At least 2009, and my analyst had them in 2007/8 on his Iraq deployment.

It is impossible to say if they were worn in theatre. They were meant to be worn in theatre. They were isued at base in the States, and you can buy them in surplus stores. What you can say is that if you find a uniform without squares, then it was not a combat uniform after the date that they started putting the squares on. But I need some veterans from 2001-2007 to vouch when they were first started to be used.

ocsfollowme

My brigade (1-25 SBCT) arrived to Afghanistan in April 2011 and replaced 2SCR which deployed with ACU. We were apart of the first cycle to use multicam. We all received 4x pairs of multicam top and bottoms. I went through those on deployment and this was a brand new pair that I received in Afghanistan.

These make for awesome hunting uniforms. Besides being fire retardant they have chemicals in them that keep mosquitos away. Good for 25 washes. So they say.

post-122868-0-26721600-1434764063.jpg

ocsfollowme

To note: our multicam was so much better in concealing than ACU. But they faded after 6 washings. And they wore out after a month of wear. Sometimes sooner based upon the MOS.

VolunteerArmoury

The ACU FRACUs were issued to me in 2009 for Iraq but when I was made some supply network connections in theater on Balad & Victory I was given all regular ACUs instead of FRACUs for my detachment so we wore both in theatre but FRACUs out of the wire. I typically heard them referred to as "frack-ews." I was MEDEVACed from Iraq to Germany for illness from Iraq & at some point I know a MILPER or such was issued allowing FRACUs to be worn CONUS beyond train up for theater. Before I was advised they were only worn for redeployment training & not to be worn after returning but many of us in the WTB wore them since that's mostly what we had & they were so thin that they weren't as hot in Ft. Augusta. We, obviously, weren't doing anything strenuous being broke dicks so they worked well & I guess we liked looking salty compared to the "light on the right" WTB cadre.

By the way, I think there were two types of ACU FRACUs, one with the IR tab on the inside of the shoulder tab & the outside along with those other updates. I'm curious if Multicam or Operational whatever they were called uniforms had the two styles as well. I collect much older stuff but hoarding current stuff & been trying to acquire unworn with tags of each styles issued since 2001 or at least the issued ones & as much as the test ones as possible.

So in essence, for those collecting current uniforms that were used on deployments, you would want those with these squares. If you were making up a manikin. Otherwise, it is just a uniform worn in training on base.

It's my understanding that all issued ACU uniforms in Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage Pattern (OEF-CP, AKA "Multicam") were fire resistant and will have the squares. This, of course, does not include uniforms procured from commercial suppliers such as Crye Precision and used primarily by Special Operations Forces. The new Operational Camouflage Pattern ACUs will be made in the standard NYCO twill for stateside use, and will presumably also be made in a fire resistant version for use in combat zones. The pattern is very similar to Multicam but has subtle differences.

When I deployed in 2007-08, we had non-FR ACUs. In Iraq, we were issued tan flight suits (nomex). At some point, I picked up an ACU 2 piece flight suit, but don't remember if that was at the end of the deployment or later.

I paid the statement of charges to hang onto that ACU flight suit...and now I wonder why. Sure wish that I had paid for my kevlar instead of that dern uniform!

Steve

VolunteerArmoury

There were also the aircrew version of ACUs worms by convoy folks as far as I know but maybe others. Non-aircrew types didn't wear these all that much by 2010 but still seen then & probably into 2011.

I was an artillery battalion S3 and XO in 3ID during the 2007-08 deployment, when we had the nomex for FR; can't speak to convoy personnel.

Not sure when I obtained the aircrew version of ACUs (A2CU, Army Aircrew Combat Uniform), but my set is dated 2007. It's in near perfect condition, which sorta makes me think I got it later, and never used it much.

This is a long way from FR Multicam questions/comments. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Steve