Book on POW collectibles

lelier

Good evening,

My father in law asked me to search for a book that is on Italian POW military items... anything at all.

I'd imagine a book on any POW militaria would be of help to him.

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Lisa G Lier

I recommend "A Wartime Journal" by Art Beltrone. Check for it on Amazon. Good Luck........Bobgee

Should have said: "A Wartime Log".......Sorry. Bobgee

Are you looking for something on Italians who were POWs in the US , or Americans held by the Italians in North Africa and Italy?

Kurt

I do have material from Americans held by the Italians in my collection. I have POW mail, POW camp money, and a small POW diary. There isnt much stuff out there from Americans held in Italy.

Kurt

Thank you for your replies.

He is looking for a book about any collectibles pertaining to Italian POW's. He has a "nice" U.S. militaria collection from the Civil War through the Vietnam wars and now looking into POW items.

He said Italian, but he would also enjoy/use any books/information on other POW's from other countries.

Thanks again.

Lisa Lier

Kurt,

I'll get that book for him. I know he will enjoy reading it.

He's a retired "EOD man" (as he describes himself) and collects all sorts of military items... and I can listen to him all day! Helping him track down the history on items that he picks up has become a hobby to me.

Thanks again,

Lisa

This book is not about collectibles, but it is about POW's held in Nebraska.

http://www.amazon.com/Nebraska-POW-Camps-Prisoners-Heartland/dp/162619419X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434769186&sr=8-1&keywords=pow+camps+in+nebraska

While it's scope is a bit limited, it has an excellent bibliography and resource section that will help you find other sources.

There is a book called "Dont fence me in " about a Belfast man who was captured in North Africa and was held in an Italian POW camp.

It may be hard to find but a great read.

owen

There is a book called "Dont fence me in " about a Belfast man who was captured in North Africa and was held in an Italian POW camp.

It may be hard to find but a great read.

owen

Owen,

Is it the book by Ray Davey?

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

A book about Italian POW's (held in a British camp) is No Picnic on Mount Kenya by Felice Benuzzi. Its an account of three Italian POWs who escape a British POW camp to Climb Mount Kenya. There are a number of books about allied military personnel escaping and evading in Italy such as Behind Enemy Lines by Gilbert Broadbent, The Rome Escape line by Sam Derry, The Escaping Habit by Joseph Orna, Shot Down and On the Run by Graham Pitchfork, and Aircraft Down! by Philip Caine. A number of books that reference the POWs held in Italy with their eventual escape or movement to a camp in Germany or Poland, but do not give a lot of details, several of the Stalag Luft III books have that type of comments.

I don't know of any book that is specifically oriented to collecting POW items, several WWII collectable books mention a bit about POW items, but usually very little. Perhaps this a good idea, I know I would purchase such a book, even though I am just recently collecting items verses 30plus years of collecting books about captivity and escape.

There are a few great books about POW escape equipment such as Official Secrets by Clayton Hutton, The Escape Factory by Lloyd Shoemaker, OSS Special Equipment and Weapons by H. Melton, and a new book about OSS and SOE escape and evasion equipment coming out on this August.

Bryan