Interwar uniform - need some help

Buckshot329

Hello all

I recently bought this 83rd Division interwar uniform from one of the forum members but have a hard time finding more information about the model of the coat & breeches. Hoping some of the experts on here can tell me some more about the uniform & what period it exactly dates to (1920s? 1930s?)

Thanks for your help

Let me know if you need detailed pictures

post-60214-0-48061600-1434654158.jpg

RustyCanteen

It is a model 1926 pattern coat, which replaced the older standing collar type. At a glance it would date from about 1926-1938.

Nice set.

I believe that is a standing collar coat that has been retailored to the 1926 pattern. I have a 30s dated coat that has 4 buttons exposed down the front, not the three that this coat has. As I am not near my collection at this time, I can post pictures later if you would like.

BTW, great uniform set

Ed

Buckshot329

Thanks both for your help and nice comments.

Since I posted I actually found another post describing the same uniform and it is indeed a retailored standing collar.

I was puzzled at first about the three buttons down the front but upon closer inspection I found the fourth buttonhole that was closed.

After finding all this out I'm even happier with my set :)

Buckshot329

Glad you guys decided to pass it on!

Brings me one step closer to owning an 83rd uniform from each era it existed.

Great uniform!

Is it normal for the patch to be sewn so high and close to the shoulder seam?

Yeah they used to do that sometimes, also in 1919 too.

Here's a couple of examples of the top of shoulder patch in the 20s-30s worn right up to the shoulder loop, and of officers Reserve Divisions too, but it was not something done exclusively by divisions of the Reserve or by officers, but all of them, Regular, National Guard, Reserve, Officers and Enlisted.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8303-inter-war-organized-reserve-patches/

Really interesting, patches! Was it theoritically against regulations also during the pre-WW2 period?

Ach who knows, it would seem it was a fashion, it would also seem it was done primarily if not exclusively with shoulder patches that were of the shield type.

Ach who knows, it would seem it was a fashion, it would also seem it was done primarily if not exclusively with shoulder patches that were of the shield type.

Copy that! Thanks!