Overseas Cap w/ 91st Inf. Insignia

Stahlberg

I recently bought this cap on ebay for a really reasonable price, and wanted to get some more info on it. I've personally never seen anything like it, and I have yet to blacklight it. Has anyone else seen anything like it?

post-156248-0-51431300-1434603900.jpg

post-156248-0-60380000-1434603903.jpg

post-156248-0-48898300-1434603905.jpg

What is a black light going to prove or disprove on this cap?

I would think it may prove whether the piece of felt is going to glow or not.

-Mike

Too Much WW1 Militaria

I like it! Personally, I'm not a total fan of the "black light test" If you have a tunic that has been dry cleaned with chemical brightner added it will glow like it is nuclear! LOL On something small like this, that might work. Then again, if the Doughboy added it in the 1970's, well.............

John

I like it as well. WWI vets did quirky things with their post-combat uniforms. I would have picked it up as well for a reasonable price.

Thanks for sharing ...Tim

That is one nice piece I don't care when the vet did it, for my two cents worth it's for real and a great find.

Love the OS cap! Thought I would add a photo of another variation of this disk that has been in my collection since the late 80s. Interestingly it is also from Co. E. Sure wish I knew which regiment, but apparently there were at least 2 soldiers who added pine trees to their disks.

post-944-0-55742100-1434721549.jpg

post-944-0-50610700-1434721560.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
fordmustanggt_350

Hello,

I have seen quite a few of these and can include some pictures when I get back home. Most commonly I have seen them scratched in or painted but this is a nice one cut from felt. Of all the examples that are in the 91st Training Division Historic Collection they seem to be from primarily the 363rd although I have one from the 347th Machine Gun Battalion that is hand painted as well. Nice pieces and thank you for posting about these. If your interested we do post some of the items from our historic collection on our 91st Training Division Facebook page. Check it out.

Respectfully,

Kevin