any ideas on this, Training pistol?

thetrenchman1918

thetrenchman1918

so i was set up at a flea market Sunday and a friend walked up with this and said, "it kind of looks and feels like a 1911" its actually too heavy and the grip angle is off some but it does balance about the same as a fully loaded 1911, long story short i bought it cheaply as an interesting curiosity piece, did i just but the handle off of a machine or is there some connection to the 1911 here?

markings are 18 (in a diamond), H23 and below that: SIX

post-105825-0-52894100-1434467695.jpgpost-105825-0-70919600-1434467696.jpgpost-105825-0-85174100-1434467697.jpg

Yes, it is a forged blank for a pistol frame. Might not be for an M1911, but it's something similar.

To illustrate what a blank is:

there would be an awful lot of waste if it were machined into a frame

And yet, that is exactly how they are made. An oversize blank is forged and then machined to the final product. Likely the waste is simply melted down again or sold off to recover some of the value.

thetrenchman1918

ok i take it back, any way to find out the age by the markings to see if this might be ww2 or ww1 (18 in diamond?)

TheGrayGhost

ok i take it back, any way to find out the age by the markings to see if this might be ww2 or ww1 (18 in diamond?)

More than likely, the 18 may be a year and the other marking a heat or lot number, which could also be used to pinpoint a year, but that is a complete guess. Unfortunately, that information may not exist anywhere other than with the manufacturer.