WW1 American YMCA Woman's Overseas Workers Uniform

ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980

I was fortunate to add this group to my WW1 Uniform collection. I try to keep a lookout for American Volunteer uniforms such as those serving with other countries pre-US involvement, ie Norton Harjes, American Field Service, ARC, etc as well as YMCA, Salvation Army, U.S. Public Health Department etc. Unfortunatly the only ID of this piece is some initails in the hat. From what I could find there were about 1000 Woman workers in the YMCA serving overseas. The beret is the real rairity of the group. Includes the original shirt, tunic, skirt, waist belt and the two hats. Thanks for lookin'!

post-23325-0-87889900-1434429347.jpeg

post-23325-0-90703300-1434429376.jpeg

I threw a few bids at that set myself, I'm glad it ended up in good hands! It seems like an exceptional example.

Beautiful uniform group. I have a group to an American nurse who served in a British hospital in France.

Dick

Very nice grouping. We have a women's reference section on the forum. Do you mind if I move this thread to the reference section?

...Kat

ludwigh1980

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have a lady mannequin that I was getting ready to sell however now I have something to put on her. This will probably go into moth quarantine for awhile just to make sure. Just need a pair of the leather lace up boots to complete the display. I have a question. For Woman workers in France, particularly near the front, would they wear the heeled lace up boots or more of a flat soled boot, heeled but not as high, more like what men wore? Unfortunately I have passed up a couple pair of womans lace up calf boots in the last couple months.

Regards,

Terry

ludwigh1980

Very nice grouping. We have a women's reference section on the forum. Do you mind if I move this thread to the reference section?

...Kat

Thank you Kat. That would be nice. I thought it was worth archiving on the forum. I will try to post other pics once its on the mannequin.

Regards,

Terry

T For Woman workers in France, particularly near the front, would they wear the heeled lace up boots or more of a flat soled boot, heeled but not as high, more like what men wore? Unfortunately I have passed up a couple pair of womans lace up calf boots in the last couple months.

Regards,

Terry

Terry,

I was looking thru my Dressed for Duty book. There is a picture of a YMCA chauffeur in Aix-Les-Bains, France who has on laced up boots. There is another picture showing seven women who served with the US Army First Division. It looks like they all have on different shoes but no boots. Some look to be flat with very little heel while some have a slightly higher heel. The book describes the uniform design but does not mention shoes. It appears that the women purchased their own shoes. Looks like you could use either one.

Thanks, Kat

ludwigh1980

Thank you for the info Kat. Shoes are a bit more affordable than boots and easier to manipulate on a mannequin.

Regards,

Terry

Thank you for the info Kat. Shoes are a bit more affordable than boots and easier to manipulate on a mannequin.

Regards,

Terry

Terry,

I will look some more to see if I can find any more information about the shoes.

Also, thank you for allowing me to move this thread to the women's reference section. You have a great uniform.

...Kat