Wooden hand cart wooden wheels

RibCage

Acquired this from a picker for a few hundred bucks. Not sure If I got ripped off or not. But I think it's way cool and want to restore it. He said it was US military 1890's hand cart. I did some looking on line and sure enough it matches most military and not pioneer hand carts. Except I haven't seen too many with wooden wheels only steel. Anyone with any info on these carts would really be appreciated. Like what type of wood, Where to get plans, history. Thanks for looking!! Rib

post-158980-0-72530600-1434397358.jpg

The wooden wheels were replaced with steel wheels beginning in 1940. I have one of these carts in pretty nice condition.

robiinb. So what else have you found out about them? Is there any sources of info you can point me toward? My wheel bands are loose and I am wondering if I need to take them to a wheelwright.

Rakkasan187

Here are a few links to the Fort Bliss replica museum. It is an exact replica of an Adobe fort that was used by Confederate forces during the civil war and later as a US Army outpost.. They may have some information for you..

http://www.civilwar.org/civil-war-discovery-trail/sites/fort-bliss-museum.html

https://www.facebook.com/OldFortBlissReplica

Leigh

The earliest reference I have is the Quartermaster catalog from 1917. Your wooden wheeled cart is pictured there. It's also in the 1932 Quartermaster book. Then in the 1944 QM 3-3 supply catalog is where it's mentioned that the wooden wheels were changed to steel in 1940.