Navy JP Helmet APH-6

thorin6

I don't collect Jet Pilot Helmets, but acquired this at a flea market and am looking to learn more about it. The marking on the front of the helmet is V-5 (separated by a horseshoe?) which the seller said was a Navy Flight Training Squadron. While the outside shows wear, the inside is in very good shape, all pads are soft and flexible, and all cables are solid and untorn. I've included a picture of the tag inside. It's my understanding that this is a Viet Nam era helmet but I have nothing to go on to confirm that. Any information would be appreciated.

post-11546-0-63829100-1434249262.jpg

It is a 60s era helmet and could well be from the training command. I don't think the WW2 V-5 Naval Aviator Cadet Program was still called that in the 60's, though that Nav. Av. Cadet Program was still around from what I understand. Love to hear if someone knows for sure.

northcoastaero

The APH-6 helmet was introduced during the early 1960s, maybe 1962. This helmet is probably from the mid 1960s based on the configuration. APH stands for Aviators Protective Helmet. Other APH-6 series helmets include: APH-6A, -B, -C, -D, -CM, -CL, -DM, -DL. Most were made by Gentex and Sierra. They came in sizes medium and large. I have heard of the V-5 cadet program, but do not know the years it operated. I will check the Squadron/Signal book on USN markings and units to see if there was a V-5 squadron, etc.

The oxygen mask commonly used with the APH-6 series was the MS-22001 (A-13A), which came in many different configurations based on

aircraft and type of seat/ejection seat used. The APH-6 series were also used in helicopters. Since your helmet has a boom microphone

added to it, this is a possibility. Also used by the USN/USMC and USCG. Your helmet is most likely USN or USMC. Nice helmet!

Thanks for your comments. I paid a little over $100 for the helmet and the khaki bag that it was carried in. After boxerdogi posted I realized that I had "misremembered" the seller's comments and he did say the helmet was for the Naval Aviator Cadet Squadron based on the V5 part of the marking. I've tried to look up information on the program, and I understand that it was terminated in 1968. However, I can't find anything on it's operations, markings or insignia after WWII. The decals and tape on the helmet would point it to being Navy (Navy wings and the word NAVY on the front), and the boom mike would indicate it was configured to work without a mask. I've looked at Wikipeida's entries on active and inactive squadrons, but can't find anything that looks like the V-Horseshoe-5 marking on the front, and wings on the side. I'll keep looking based on comments here and what other references I can find.

This is the part of collecting I like-the search for more information.

There was a Navy utility squadron designated VU-5 during that time period. The horseshoe might very well be just stylized U.

northcoastaero

I would have to agree that the markings stand for VU-5. There is an image of a variation of the VU-5 patch on bluejacket.com that shows a flying horse. According to a book that I have, VU-3, -4, -7, -10 flew the Douglas JD, UB-26J, and DB-26J Invader for towing targets and

target drones. VU-2 flew the Bell HUL-1 (Navy H-13) helicopter. I am guessing that VU-5 flew multi-engine aircraft and/or helicopters. Hope

this helps.

Here is a picture of the side decals of a wing. This may fit in to the VU-5 and the Flying Horse possibility.

post-11546-0-02192400-1434334116.jpg

Just curious, what is the design on the back of the helmet?

It's a green and orange stripe ending in an arrow head. I'll post a pic tonight.

northcoastaero

According to vpnavy.org VU-5 Checkertails was based at NAS Atsugi, Japan. Some of the aircraft that were flown with the squadron include variation(s) of the C-45; AD Skyraider; F9F Panther; JD-1 Invader; P2V P-2 Neptune; F8U F-8 Crusader. There was a VU-5A and VU-5B

also that were based elsewhere. Missions seem to be target towing and possibly drone related. I am guessing that your helmet was flown in

the target towing B-26 Invader variants based on the era, configuration, and tape design. Two variations of bluejacket.com VU-5

patch shows a flying horse towing a target. I guess the P-2 Neptune would also be possible?

Here's a pic of the rear of the helmet. I appreciate northcoastaero's research and TLeo's seeing that the "horseshoe" is a stylize U.

post-11546-0-38046900-1434408594.jpg

You could also search in USMC VMO units !

OV-10... VMO-2 emblem = horseshoe

VMO-2's markings are not similar at all as I have owned a couple of their helmets and plus, it has that Navy decal on the front. It is definitely Navy.