Family dog tags.....

USdog

I've been seeing a lot of dog tags on the forum belonging to their family members lately. Thought it would be nice to have a place to put them all in. It can either be yours or a relatives, doesn't matter. This is the only set I have at the moment, my grandfathers on my mothers side.... I'm on the lookout for my other grandfathers set, who served during the Korean War, but won't keep my hopes up. One of my relatives has the NOK set of my great uncle who served in the 28th ID in WWII and could probably get a picture of it. If I do, I will post it here.

Anyways, here's a little bit on my grandfathers history who I have the tags of...

My grandfather enlisted September 4, 1956 at age 18. Trained with the 39th Infantry Regiment, 9th ID at Fort Carson, Colorado in late 1956-early 1957. Later shipped out that year with the 34th Infantry to Japan. In 1958 he went to Korea with the 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division and also with the 24th infantry Division. Was later discharged the same year on September 3, 1958.

Looking forward to seeing some!

post-93633-0-86602200-1434244651.jpg

smwinter207

These were my grandfather's dog tags. I posted them in the past in an attempt to figure out why they are so different than the usual WWII dog tags. You can see the font is different, and stamped on the reverse side of the dog tag. I know they were not removed by a family member, because we've had all his stuff for the last 30 yrs.. If anyone has seen this font, I would love to solve this mystery.

He was stationed in the Pacific with the 863rd Aviation Engineers. Putting him in New Guinea and the Philippines.

Thanks!

post-20483-0-64090400-1434300480.jpg

post-20483-0-67562700-1434300481.jpg

The machines they used differ from another, it was wartime they had to focus on making as many dog tags and items for the war as they could. They could have used a typewriter on dog tags if they had to. :P

• 5 years later...

It's been five years since I posted my grandfather's dog tags. Yesterday, I finally found a set to another soldier which matched his stamping. Both guys were stationed in Spokane WA in 1943. My grandfather at Geiger, and this Mr Muha at Galena Air Depot on the same side of town. They must have had them done in that area, since my grandfather shipped off to PNG with his engineer unit, and this man stayed in the US as a AAF Armorer over in Pendelton, OR. Always bugged me that I couldn't explain the odd stamping.

Annotation 2020-09-09 232702.png

Annotation 2020-09-09 232726.png

I have seen some more WWII dog tags with this large font before. Actually I recall one of the forum members, I believe from Germany, found one of these in the ground and posted some photos of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple pairs of tags with this style of stamping as well. One set is to a first Cav  WWII vet, the other was a medic in the PTO.

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t remember the name of the member that posted the tag. He is from Germany and his avatar is Donald Duck dressed up like Fredrick the Great. He has posted a number of dug relics. Maybe that can help you find the post.