Did WWII USO volunteers and hostesses wear this type of armband?...

WWIIWaveGal

WWIIWaveGal

Dear all -

Please HELP if you can. I have been researching the USO for awhile now along with the pins and armbands that were worn by their female volunteers and junior hostesses in WWII. I have found an original photo ca. 1942 taken at the Loop USO club in Chicago, but the woman's face / hair looks altered. It almost looks like a bad cut / paste job. If anyone else has a better original WWII photo with a hostess wearing this particular armband or information on the armband itself - could you please share (source and date of photo preferred). The only other primary source I have found to back up the existence of this particular type of black armband is the magazine cover done by Norman Rockwell for the Saturday evening post in Feb.1942. (see both images below). However, the girls armband is white not black.

I would be using it for display purposes. I must emphasize that I will NOT be wearing the item. I always do my research to make sure that everything is period correct before I buy anything. Hence why I'm on here now for help. This company (nchsinc.com) does sell a reproduction, but I don't know if it is a reputable business or not. Does this guy know his stuff etc.? Here is the link to the site - http://www.nchsinc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9959

If anyone has info on this particular company, that would be much appreciated as well.

Finally - i'll be posting in another section about this,, but if anyone has a WWII USO armband in excellent condition like the one seen in the third image (white backdrop, red stripe with white stars, USO letters in blue), please pm me.

Thanks everyone for your assistance in this :).

Sincerely,

Christine A.

post-151147-0-93778200-1434240342.jpg

post-151147-0-25937000-1434240355.jpg

post-151147-0-36062400-1434240783.jpg

WWIIWaveGal

Dear Milkshake -

Great picture. I've seen that one :). That's the armband which matches my third image from Dressed for Duty Vol. 2. Unfortunately, I can't find another source which backs up the existence of the black armband reproduced by nchsinc.com other than the Norman Rockwell cover. A lady vendor who attends some of the same events has said some of his stuff is great, other things not so much. He's got a great resume, but ya never know sometimes.

Sincerely,

Christine A.

Alright, well I've been searching for about 7 minutes and I can't seem to find any other black USO armbands pictures. It seems like it's a rare one, like the steel penny during WWII, maybe they decided to put some armbands black and some white because white thread ran out during 1943 or something. It's a really hard call with the armband while the picture says otherwise. The pictured posted of the woman you believed photoshop'd does not really look photoshopped it's probably just the light reflecting off her hair.

WWIIWaveGal

Dear Milkshake -

I really do appreciate your thoughts and help :). Trust me, I did the same search wise. Frustrating. It's a very hard call. I realize that the next logical step would be to contact the company and ask what they are basing the black armband off of, but there is no phone # or email on their website :(. I'll take all the help I can get.

Anyone who is knowledgeable about this - please keep the responses coming :).

Sincerely,

Christine A.

Alright, well I'm glad I could sort of help. I guess the best idea to do is to goto some USO WWII Historian?

There is a member here who collects a lot of USO items, I will see if I can find him (Keith, you out there?)

Regarding the "photoshoped" photo, it was common at the time to enhance photos for reprint and print in newspapers by using grease pencils and even paint in white and black to enhance details like that and make things stand out. Without that I am sure her hair just blended into the background, how 'detectible' they were depended on the skill of the graphic artist.

I have seen both the black and white armbands although the black one is more uncommon. Unfortunately, I don't know why the two different variations. It might be that, just a variation and nothing more. There was not much guideline or regulations for insignia and uniforms worn by the domestic USO program.

I'm actually working on a website detailing the operations, uniforms, and insignia of USO-Camp Shows in WW2. It won't be published until later this summer, but it will provide an excellent online reference for the USO.

Keith

WWIIWaveGal

Dear Keith and Mr. Jerry -

Thank you all for your help :). I did find an original WWII postcard dated 1945. The lady is wearing the black armband. Sorry for the size of the pic, but I had to reduce in order for it to download. Keith - if you are ever willing to sell your WWII USO items please keep me in mind.

Sincerely,

Christine A.

post-151147-0-28353600-1434400794.jpg