USMCWR sports Daisy Mae hat?

Quest Master

Quest Master

Picked this up this weekend. I have no idea what it is or what unit it is from. Could it be a Marine Female Daisy Mae hat for sports or a unit? The MP 46 is felt, machine embroidered, but I do not believe the 46 is for 1946. No label on the inside. Size 7 tag. Brown leather sweat band. Whatcha think? Could it be for the leader of a training unit or a school, like a drill instructor? Looks very WWII.

It looked like the hat was turned inside out, the seem covers can sometimes be white. Rare hat, but not sure what the deal is with the patches

I don't believe this is a USMCWR daisy mae hat. The ones I have seen do not have a leather band. The inside seams that are brown on yours should be white.

A size 7 would be a man's cap. Every WWII woman's cap that I have for every branch has sizes such as 22 or 23. Not sure what this is but I don't believe it is a woman's cap.

...Kat

could be a hat made up for a high schooler in support of their team or graduating class?

certainly looks like a civilian hat to me.

-Brian

Quest Master

Perhaps a military overstock/contract or surplus hat...used for civilian use. The hat is cut stitch for stitch, with the same color as the USMCWR Daisey Mae. It has a "sports" look to it, like numbers on a vintage sports jersey or something. Could be a school, class, summer camp. Not ruling anything out.

We've all seen a lot of WWII NOS gear used after the war, especially by organizations like the Boy Scouts.

I love the catch on the size 7! I didn't even pick up on that. Nice work Kat! :)