Recreating a D-Day photo in Normandy

jonesy1275

I had one clear goal whilst out in Normandy last week for the 71st commemorations of D-Day and that was to recreate one of my favourite photographs taken during the invasion. It shows paratroopers from the 506th PIR, 101st Airborne towing a M3A4 Handcart with a jeep. It gets better as in the background there are two Horsa gliders.
After a bit of research, I'd found out that the photograph was taken on the crossroads of the D115 and the D913, inbetween Utah Beach and St. Marie du Mont.
So with a bit of traffic management, I manoeuvred my jeep into what I thought was roughly the position and my wife took the shot. When I overlaid the photo over the original, I was amazed at how close we'd gotten it.
I hope you like it.
Neil.
post-72146-0-95455700-1434143142.jpg

That, my friend, is outstanding. Where did you get the original image? I was in Normandy in 2013 and took a ton of then and now photos! Very nicely done.

Nice photo !

The original D Day jeep photo has the standard US star paint on the rear quarter panel? I always figured and been told that for the invasion they add the circle around the stars for the invasion? just shows what your told is not always true.

Panzerbait - I'd love to see some of your "then and now" pictures. Jonesy1275 - nice work and really interesting.

With all due respect to Jonesy1275 and his fine then and now photo, I'll only post one then and now shot of mine here on his post. I'll probably start a new Then And Now post if you'd like to see more. This particular photo is in a very out of the way place, but fortunately I was traveling with someone who knew the owner of this farm and we were given permission to come in and take photos. It's of Omar Bradley decorating officers and men of the 82nd Airborne, including Ben Vandervoot.

Notice that in the post war years they changed the pitch of the roof, and moved the windows farther apart by a few feet.

post-11529-0-73043900-1434302469.jpg

post-11529-0-90570700-1434302481.jpg