332nd patch - Comparisons

mccooper

Ran across this patch yesterday on an unidentified uniform with no collar discs. Did have two overseas stripes and the discharge chevron. The patch concerns me: is it real, reworked or reunion? Good quality in the bullion, but the face seems too simple, and the 332 is not on two pages of the book. All other 332 patches I have seen - and AAS - use the two page Lion of St. Mark's design. Will post a reply showing flour patches from my collection for comparison. Thanks for your thoughts.

mc cooper

post-151387-0-04464200-1434139514.jpg

That's a new one for me. Not going to throw it under the bus without proof.. but I would simply say that I would not be comfortable offering that one for sale without iron-clad provenance.

I agree its the clunkiest looking 332nd I have ever seen.I hope Dan chimes in he has owned more than any one.Scotty

BigJohn#3RD

I have to agree with Jeff and Bill that it just does not look legit. With the price of 332 uniform patches I would not feel comfortable stating it is legit. Here are two that came from a AAS Veterans estate for comparison.

post-5224-0-53572400-1434143403.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

Here is another one. They look a lot like the ones of the other you posted after the first picture.

Let me close by saying I’m am not an expert but would have my doubts about the one you showed in your first post.

John

post-5224-0-14149800-1434143616.jpg

These are what I'm used to from my collection...and they are far different than the first one. I am not a fan of it...

332patch1.jpg

332ndCol.jpg

world war I nerd

Here are some images that I've gathered over the years ...

I'm not absolutely sure what these two are supposed to be. Given the initials of the first one, I'd guess that it's probably American Red Cross. The other one - who knows?

post-5143-0-05900500-1434154453.jpg

As much as we would like to have a definitive answer to each question, AND nobody wants to walk away from a potential deal... I'll admit, I have come to a point where I look at things a bit differently.

There is SO much cool stuff out there to buy, once I have enough suspicion to make me wary of an item, I'm no longer interested and have moved on to the next piece. True, that means that someone more knowledgeable than I am can follow along behind me and snap up some pretty sweet pieces that I was just uninformed about. It also means that I have far fewer things that turn out later to be problems and / or money poorly spent.

This patch is a good example. If we could take it to a relic psychic (please don't start that thread) and ask the question, in addition to loosing ANOTHER $50 or so, we might magically learn that it was a one-off variation made for a 332 fellow in France before shipping home, and is thus different than the other Italian-made pieces. However, lacking that opportunity and in the absence of real provenance, it is just another example of "I wouldn't want to try to defend this one."

I would rather miss a few deals than try to pretzel myself around items that experience shows are worthy of healthy skepticism.

I would rather miss a few deals than try to pretzel myself around items that experience shows are worthy of healthy skepticism.

SUPER advice right here.

if there is skepticism when the item is purchased originally.. how much skepticism will there be when it comes time to sell?

-Brian

My first impression when I saw it was.... "I'd pass."

As someone who lives in Ohio and sees these pop up occasionally.....

FWIW

daniel griffin

Although it doesn't conform exactly to the accepted norm, I personally like it. The felt looks correct, wire body, heavy bullion wing. The fakes that I have seen have been much more crude. The posted ARC patch is mine and came from the Case Western Reserve Museum some years ago. That one is certainly not the typical construction. As Jeff said, maybe it was made somewhere other than Italy, we will probably never know. I would buy it and not look back.

Since WWI Nerd has provided study samples, let's see how many 332's we can get into one thread! These guys knew full well at the time that they had the most beautiful patch in the AEF.

332_s_1.jpg

I don't know where this one came from, but it's 100% real and it appears to be on officer's uniform material (I never had a 332nd officer, or even one made of this material, so I know it wasn't mine...)

332ndpatch.jpg

Here's the whole sleeve from the first patch (above). I have other photos, but unfortunately I saved them under the veteran's names and for the life of me, can't remember what they are! I'll find them!

Thompson1.jpg

I kinda feel like Barney Fife but here is my one and only (looks like every Lion has it's own facial expression):

Love the flags with the patch. Really outstanding. Thanks for posting.

Gents-

Thanks for your replies. Great to see so many real 332 patches. There are a lot of authentic variations. Does any one know any history on where they were made and/or makers? Also, I have seen at least one patch with 102 for the base hospital - has anyone else? Pictured here is a reunion patch which among a vet's items.

Hope to meet some of you at the OVMS this weekend.

southridge

post-151387-0-50544000-1434573563.jpg

Just as a FWIW caveat...I'm not a fan of the AAS patch in the upper left on post #9. It doesn't match what is typically known of these patches (and there are a BUNCH in this thread!)