1943 Pilot Chute

rrobertscv

• 1 month later...

When I went skydiving, we had this tiny chute that slowed us down (tandem skydivers sink like rocks) before we opened the main chute. I don't remember what it was called, but I am thinking that is what you have there.

That's the one. I never knew it was called a pilot chute. I thought you were saying it was a chute for a pilot. LOL Egg on my face.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pilot is an accurate description for this item. This chute is spring loaded so when the rip cord is pulled opening the pack the Pilot chute immediately springs to an open position creating drag, it then pulls or trails the primary chute behind it from the pack then with the large primary chute streamed it then catches and bellows open. So the Pilot chute leads or pilots the primary chute from the pack, the nomenclature is accurate.

When I went skydiving, we had this tiny chute that slowed us down (tandem skydivers sink like rocks) before we opened the main chute. I don't remember what it was called, but I am thinking that is what you have there.

Not the same thing. What tandem jumpers use is called a Stabilizer Drogue. Not really designed to slow your fall to any great extent. More to provide a stable and controllable fall. Two jumpers attached together is a very un-aerodynamic package so the drogue keeps you from spinning or tumbling prior to opening the main parachute.

As I believe was posted above, a pilot chute is a small spring loaded parachute that pops from the pack and into the wind stream to help pull the main parachute canopy from the pack.

Sometimes, the drogue does serve as a pilot parachute too, depending on the application.

northcoastaero

This book: The Parachute Manual Vol. 1 by Dan Poynter should have the part number listed inside along with the information on the parachute assembly application. Hope this helps.