a couple of new WWI wings.

pfrost

Last one. I think this is one of the nicer 3D wings I have seen. Flat images on a scanner or photo really don't give the true impression of the wings in person.

post-1519-1244220301.jpg

• 1 year later...

This is a new (to me) Dallas wing. At least a few different variations of these wings are known. On I call the multi-feather wing, and this version, the 3-winged version. So named because of the feathers in the shoulders of the wings. The 3-winged version has three feathers... you see the point.

Interestingly, it is the 3-winged version that seems to have been the most heavily faked of the Dallas wings.

This wing is pretty dirty, and the scans don't do it justice. Dirt, old polishing gunk, and some of the residual original frosting makes it hard to see the fine details unless you have it in hand. Also, this one was clearly worn, which is the way I like them, just a bit salty.

post-1519-1286374165.jpg

Another beauty Patrick. I really need to start shopping the same places you shop. A bit longer drive for me than you but I should be able to make it in about a day and a half.

Patrick,

And just were is it you shop again ? :whistling:

Paul

This one came off of ebay, gents. :thumbsup:

An auction that ran a few times actually. I was kind of surprised it didn't sell either time. The pictures weren't great, but they weren't that bad either, so I made an offer.

P

This wing is pretty dirty, and the scans don't do it justice. Dirt, old polishing gunk, and some of the residual original frosting makes it hard to see the fine details unless you have it in hand. Also, this one was clearly worn, which is the way I like them, just a bit salty.

Wow!

Well, if one looks close enough they can see that under that dirt, etc, is a beautiful Eisenstadt badge with little if any real sign of wear to it. We all know you don't like to clean 'um but if you should ever change your mine it would look simply "M-A-R-V-E-L-O-U-S"!!!!!

A great find.

;)

Question, I recently picked up a Dallas very similar to Patrick's , Here is a stupid question, but is the US gold or plated sterling?

Mine....

post-182-1286391184.jpg

Question, I recently picked up a Dallas very similar to Patrick's , Here is a stupid question, but is the US gold or plated sterling?

Paul,

What you have is an example made by Bailey, Banks & Biddle. The letters US should be made of gold only, but if left in less than ideal conditions for a long period of time it is not unusual through direct contact for a sterling silver badge to also tarnish the gold letters to such an extent that they too might appear to be silver.

If you don't want to remove the tarnish you can take the badge to a jeweler and have them test the letters in order to find out if they are indeed gold or if you are willing to clean the letters just rub a little Wright's Silver Scream on them. Don't worry it won't harm the gold.

Cliff

Paul,

What you have is an example made by Bailey, Banks & Biddle. The letters US should be made of gold only, but if left in less than ideal conditions for a long period of time it is not unusual through direct contact for a sterling silver badge to also tarnish the gold letters to such an extent that they too might appear to be silver.

If you don't want to remove the tarnish you can take the badge to a jeweler and have them test the letters in order to find out if they are indeed gold or if you are willing to clean the letters just rub a little Wright's Silver Scream on them. Don't worry it won't harm the gold.

Cliff

Cliff,

Clean , me NEVER ! Actually I would like the gold to show a little more, I can see it under the loupe...

Thanks!

Paul

This one came off of ebay, gents. :thumbsup:

An auction that ran a few times actually. I was kind of surprised it didn't sell either time. The pictures weren't great, but they weren't that bad either, so I made an offer.

P

Well for me is was a question of funds... damn I should not have bought the new car but the wife said DO IT! :) Glad to see another beauty find a gret home!

John

Second, here is a very nice set of bullion wings that I think may be English made. In fact, a couple of very similar wings are illustrated in the Morris book. I counted about 6-7 different types of bullion thread used in this wing. It is rather large (about 3.5 inches). you cant see it here, but from the side, the shield is padded and sticks up almost an inch from the wing. Later, I will try to get some side on photos.

I got this one because I think it is one of the nicest bullion wings I have ever seen.

Patrick,

Dead on with the Brit designation. I have two sets both from aviators that purchased them in England during the war. Beautiful wings one of my favorite. Nice find.

Terry