a couple of new WWI wings.

pfrost

French-made wing/prop insignia. The detail on the feathering is spectacular. About the nicest pair I have ever seen. The rest of the uniform will be posted in the uniform section.

post-1519-1221261389.jpg

Patrick,

Huzzah!

Chris

Here is a new one. Pretty sure this is a French-made wings (as it was on a French made uniform with French made insignia).

A tiny bit of damage to the bullion and the "US". What I find neat is that some of the bullion has really tarnished to a nice dark (almost blue) collor that is really obvious in the light. It gives the wing a nice two-toned look.

Patrick

The top scan is of the original wing I bought at the flea for almost nothing, the bottom wing is its brother that I just got.

Both are reproductions. Both cloth and spacing of the shields are wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

joe, you are absolutely wrong. The fabric is EXACTLY like other Dallas wings. The spacing on the banged up wing is off because the pieces are loose.

BTW, this is an image of a wing that is in the Racine Collection, shown in the first issue of Russ Huff's Wings and Things. This is the same as the wing in discussion. If you have that issue, take a look at the quality of the items in that collection.

The quality of the image isn't great, but you can see that they are the same pattern wing. Again, notice the beading.

post-1519-1222531736.jpg

On another point, here is something new to enjoy.

This wing belonged to a Henry Brubaker who flew with the 139th and 141st late in the war. I have is nice uniform (also French made) that I will post later.

Nice "pillow" bullion wing on a deep blue backing.

post-1519-1222530487.jpg

The back. The wing has been vaulted a bit to fit the uniform. Short but heavy pin and catch. The thread on the back is a very heavy, almost waxed looking material.

--oops--forgot the pict...

post-1519-1222530921.jpg

On another point, here is something new to enjoy.

This wing belonged to a Henry Brubaker who flew with the 139th and 141st late in the war. I have is nice uniform (also French made) that I will post later.

Nice "pillow" bullion wing on a deep blue backing.

Patrick,

Lovely wing!

But IMHO, I don't think that this is a French Made wing. To me it has all the the hallmarks of an American made wing. Padded bullion, separate lower feathers in the wings, etc. I would guess that they are probably Brubaker's Graduation wing.

Best wishes!

Chris

The thread on the back is a very heavy, almost waxed looking material.

Pat,

The thread is probably waxed linen. At one time there was probably also a paper or leatherette backing glued across the back to protect the stitching.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Patrick - nice uniform... look like you run out of room please send it to me for safe keeping ;)

John

Hah! You aren't fooling me John! I have heard all about your "safe keeping" plan.

P

• 7 months later...

From my other thread.

A recent find that joins the nest.

The wing is a potentially an English made wing and is similar to Duncan Campbell's wing #31.

Came with a backing made up of dark blue or black fabric sewn on a thin celluloid or possibly bakelite form.

post-1519-1244167238.jpg

post-1519-1244167301.jpg

some of the detail to the wing. This detail is so fine and well done that you literally need a 10X loup to see the workmanship. In hand, the wing has a very fine vaulting and 3-D feel to it, with thew wings have a very graceful curve. Sometimes, pictures do a better job of giving an impression of a wing, this is the opposite.

post-1519-1244167501.jpg

The shield is also nicely detailed. It looks like it has remnants of a silver plating or "frosting" finish that is coming off in some places. I am not sure exactly what it is, but that gives the badge a bit of a mottled look. The US is clearly solid gold and had cut. Also, some gunk has accumulated on the wing.

post-1519-1244167689.jpg

Last post for now.

This is a side by side scan of the WWI wing and a (likely) 1920's-1930's Kinney Co pilot wing. The pattern is very similar to the Blackinton pattern, but is marked with the Kinney Co hallmark. This ones is rather more rare than the Blackinton wings, IMHO.

post-1519-1244167867.jpg

John Cooper

Patrick,

What no reverse shots... ;)

I think the construction is very interesting you can see the hand work that went into the construction of this wing both in the detailing of the feathers and on the reverse as well. Post #45 is cool... does the wing really have that blue-black tone?

BTW The Kenny is a nice bonus shot.

John

the back. You can actually see the patina on the back. It is dark along all the edges where the wing was in contact with the air, but less dark in the center where the oxidation of the metal was limited due to the backing plate.

Also the STERLING hallmark with a small triangle at the end.

post-1519-1244220209.jpg