Vietnam helmet look for reenacting

Eddy.502

I seems that all original, used Vietnam helmets have this look where by the helmet cover is very tight on the helmet. However when I put mine on its baggy and loose.

Have the soldiers done something to their covers or have they just become moulded to the helmet after 20 + years use

Thanks.

heres what i do if wetting the cover doesnt work out right (which it usually will) with that you just wet the cover and put it on pulling it tight, but on the off chance that doesnt work put a rubber helmet band around the liner, youll have to move it if it doesnt fit or doesnt pull the cover tight... and when you slide the liner in it will pull it tight and then just put a helmet band on it and that should take care of any slack. there will always be a couple of wrinkles in the cover.

Yes water will do the trick. I put helmet cover on the helmet 1st. I use a helmet band and pull tight and place liner in. Then I wet the helmet cover while its on the helmet. It will then mold to the helmet.

• 1 month later...

For me I wet the cover, pull it tightly over the helmet and then I take some dirt/clay/mud and rub it over the helmet. Then I put on multiple helmet bands to keep it tight then leave it out in the sun to bake. After a few repeats the cover should be pretty moulded to the helmet. Remeber though, not every grunt/gyrene in the field was a salty veteran. It's good to have some guys that look like fngs.