3rd Infantry Regiment Ike with 23rd Corps Patch

Wedgehead30

Wedgehead30

I picked up this 1944 dated Ike jacket. I'd just like opinions on if the insignia all mess properly. The DUI wasn't approved until 1959. The distinctive trimming is legit I believe. The ribbons seem right. But what is throwing me off is the 23rd Corps patch. I can't find a make-up of the 23rd that shows when the 3rd was attached.

Maybe I'm not looking at this properly? Any thoughts appreciated.

post-124172-0-89155600-1433719916.jpg

It is all correct. While the metal DUI was not approved until 1959, it was worn by the unit for many years before that. While I don't have the dates, The 3 INF was assigned to the XXIII Corps for a time on occupation duty in Germany. Before that, it had been assigned to the 106 INF DIV, wearing that SSI. I believe the 3rd wore the SSI of SHAEF after the XXIII Corps.

Here you go Wedgehead, XXIII Corps patches on 3rd Infantry troops, they provided the pallbearers for Patton, apparently the Guard of Honor as well, note the Old Guard Buff Straps on them.

post-34986-0-48499400-1429241340.jpg

Interesting he was awarded an Army Commendation Ribbon (It's original title before it was a full fledged medal in 1948-49). When this ribbon came out in late 1945 it would seem to most enlisted men that only officers were awarded it, so to throughout the rest of the 40s and well into the 50s, it got the nickname the Field Grade Officers Good Conduct Medal because of this belief.

Hey wouldn't be something if we found out that all the 3rd Infantry troops involved in Patton's funeral were awarded the ARCOM ribbon for this solemn duty, if so, then this Tech Sgt might of been one of them.

• 2 years later...

post-34986-0-45668500-1518489901_thumb.jpg

Another post war sighting of the Old Guard and their Buff Strap, this time in Berlin, 3rd Infantry inactivated in Berlin, 20 November 1946.

Would be interested to know what shoulder patch they wore at time of inactivation.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/103050-west-berlin-district-patches-and-more/

attachicon.gifrsz_1rsz_berlin0002.jpg

Another post war sighting of the Old Guard and their Buff Strap, this time in Berlin, 3rd Infantry inactivated in Berlin, 20 November 1946.

Would be interested to know what shoulder patch they wore at time of inactivation.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/103050-west-berlin-district-patches-and-more/

Most likely the black SHAEF SSI.

• 1 year later...

As employee at the now closed Old Guard Museum, Ft. Myer, VA, I found no evidence that the 3rd Infantry Regiment wore the Seventh Army SSI while in France and Germany.

There' s this IKE here with a 7th Army, don't have a ruptured duck either, if it did, we would inclined to say he was reassigned out of the 3rd Infantry for going home puposes, and was briefly assigned to a 7th army unit, and just kept his Old Gurad stuff on.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/200472-old-guard-3rd-infantry-world-war-ii-106th-division-combat-vet-ike/

Did they wear the USFET patch with the Berlin tab? The chart shows the 3rd as part of the Berlin Command.... The black SHAEF Patch was not worn long after wars end as SHAEF was dissolved 14 July 1945 and replaced by USFET (blue shield) and then reorganized as EUCOM (European Command 15 March 1947.

Did they wear the USFET patch with the Berlin tab? The chart shows the 3rd as part of the Berlin Command.... The black SHAEF Patch was not worn long after wars end as SHAEF was dissolved 14 July 1945 and replaced by USFET (blue shield) and then reorganized as EUCOM (European Command 15 March 1947.

Unlikely Doyler BERLIN tab, doesn't come out in the sometime in the 51.

This from the West Berlin district Patches and more....

Work by members Ehrentitle and Proud Kraut

Brandenburg Gate patch: 1945 - 1947

USAEUR patch with "Berlin District" tab: 1947 - 1951

USAEUR patch with "Berlin" tab: since 1951

I picked up this 1944 dated Ike jacket. I'd just like opinions on if the insignia all mess properly. The DUI wasn't approved until 1959. The distinctive trimming is legit I believe. The ribbons seem right. But what is throwing me off is the 23rd Corps patch. I can't find a make-up of the 23rd that shows when the 3rd was attached.

Maybe I'm not looking at this properly? Any thoughts appreciated.

attachicon.giftt 015.jpg

Match to one I have. Although not in the photo DUI's are the same.

post-1034-0-02840200-1575934870.jpg

Ray

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2015 at 5:08 PM, atb said:

It is all correct. While the metal DUI was not approved until 1959, it was worn by the unit for many years before that. While I don't have the dates, The 3 INF was assigned to the XXIII Corps for a time on occupation duty in Germany. Before that, it had been assigned to the 106 INF DIV, wearing that SSI. I believe the 3rd wore the SSI of SHAEF after the XXIII Corps.

What is the metal DUI on the jacket? How long before its approval in 1959 was it worn?

11 hours ago, Stony said:

What is the metal DUI on the jacket? How long before its approval in 1959 was it worn?

The metal DI is the 3rd Infantry. According to Capistrano, and Pt 1 of the Inf DI Catalog (1-30), published by ASMIC this design was approved 3 Apr 24. It appears there is some confusion as the 3rd IR being a parent regiment in CARS.    

In this case, wear dates to ca. 1945.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

My father served with the 3rd IR in WW2.  I enjoyed this post very much.   I have a photo of my father after the war with his Ike Jacket and his 106th patch on his right sleeve and 23 Corps patch on his right sleeve.  Photo was taken on Switzerland while on leave, trip paid for by the Switzerland government.